Wheel Hub dimensions

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

JimCrawford

Wheel Hub dimensions

Post by JimCrawford » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:13 am

I've been making up some wheel hubs to be able to change my Nipper from the 3 1/2 x 4.95 tyres (made from unobtainium) to easily obtained and much, much cheaper 4.00 x 4 (even from Tost!). However I've come across an interesting issue regarding the hub sizes which I hope the forum may be able to solve:
The optional, original manufacture, Nipper 4.00 x 4 hub is 75mm between the side plates at the point where the tyre sits in the hub. That is an internal measurement between the side plates. However I have measured the same dimension on a Tost hub and it is much narrower at 45mm.
I have emailed Tost asking them about the recommended mounting width for their tyres and had no response so I am asking the forum if anybody knows the factors which determine the tyre mounting width. I'm inclined to go for 45mm as that's what I've measured on a Tost hub with a Tost tyre as used on my glider.

Regards

Jim
Jim Crawford