Inspector Locations

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:40 am

If I put in PO20 (first part) or my whole postcode I get this below the map.

The longitude and latitude of the postcode () you entered could not be determined, we are using LAA HQ as a default. Please use the fields below to try again

If I scroll to my area, enlarge, shrink or whatever, I get nothing. I can get the inspectors up as a list, but that's not as useful as seeing them on a map. The reason? There are at least two of us in Sussex who'll be building CX4. It would be handy to find a central inspector who could oversee both projects.

It's also interesting to note some of the inspectors are listed as "special only" for instance RV and their engines only, or kit only? Surely if someone can oversee an RV build, they'd be able to oversee any metal airframe construction? ............. And another thing :roll: Few have a tick under the E for engines in the construction columb. My old inspector (who's moved away) doesn't have that tick either but was happy for me to build my VW. So what's the position on say putting together Great Plains VW? I've built one VW and rebuilt another, would I need an "E" rated inspector to oversee that build now?

Ivan
________
First-generation Ford Mustang history
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:59 am

PO20 worked for me OK.
However, I have spotted a few errors without trying very hard
Markers that are in incorrect locations (e.g. Steve Goodchild)
Markers missing or so inaccurate are not displayed(Pete Jeffers)

Doesn’t fill me with confidence :(

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:15 am

Aha! I think I've found the problem.

I tried the same page in firefox and found the search box under the map. On the same screen in IE there is no box, or it's covered over by the LAA links. Both IE and firefox are on the same screen resolution so I'm not sure why it shows on one and not the other, but then I get the feeling that "frustration" mode is especially built into some PC's :roll:

Ivan
________
buy vaporizers
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:29 am

I use IE7 and the search button is partly hidden behind the text menu at the bottom of the screen. Not enough to stop it being used, but untidy.

Looks like there are some layout issues with the website

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:36 pm

BTW the address I used successfully was the earlier posted one.

http://www.heroic.co.uk/inspectors.html

David Hall

Post by David Hall » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:28 am

Anybody who has done any web design will tell you that Internet Explorer is the most difficult browser to design stuff for, also there are major differences between the versions of it.

If a site uses standards, all other modern browsers will display OK, it's just you have to design specifics in for specific quirks in the various IE versions.

Drives designers mad :evil:

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:17 am

That's why I did not emblemish ( sic ) the page when I did my knock up - I am a firm believer in keep it simple.

I am intrigued by the "flying distance to Wembley" thingy at the bottom of the popup.

I have found that

1 when you need an inspector you are probably not flying
2 if you can fly, it is doubtful if Dilip Patel has a runway at the bottom of his garden - I for one don't fancy trying to land on the car park at Brent Cross.
Peter Diffey