Wittman W8 Plans

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ThePipster

Wittman W8 Plans

Post by ThePipster » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:08 am

Hello all,

Does anybody have or know where I could get hold of plans for the W8 Tailwind? I know that Aircraft Spruce sell plans for the W10 but the two airframes are different.

In particular I am interested in the static port location, as my static tubing isn’t connected to anything!

ATB

Phil
Phil Hall

dmcnicholl

Re: Wittman W8 Plans

Post by dmcnicholl » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:37 am

Hi Phil,

I have a set for the W8 but having had a quick look through them I can see no information about where to position a static port, nor indeed where to position the pitot head. The drawings seem to deal purely with the structural.

So I guess what you have is a static line just into the cockpit, which can give an unreliable static pressure.

Perhaps if you wanted to have something better a fairly traditional combined pitot/static head, you know, two tubes under the wing facing forward, would be the solution.
Donald McNicholl

ThePipster

Post by ThePipster » Fri May 01, 2020 6:59 am

Thanks Donald,

The pitot itself protrudes from the port wingtip. I know the W10 plans put the static ports underneath the aircraft and are known to cause problems. I shall have to do a bit more research.

ATB

Phil
Phil Hall

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Fri May 01, 2020 9:34 am

FWIW.
My slow high wing Rans also had the cockpit static which generally exaggerates as speed of aircraft increases. l copied a colleague's solution, which is a classic method.
A static button on mid fuselage side was installed a few years ago.
Jodels have much the same, but one each side and a Tee connection to balance out any slip differences.
I am delighted with the result, unobtrusive, easy to make and install with 100 mph error almost eliminated. indicated stall was largely as before. l assume because when slow the cabin suction is less.
Either way the LAA told me their main interest is simply to accept what the ASI shows at the stall as the reading would be constant for one's static arrangement.