Spraying my aircraft

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

billswire

Spraying my aircraft

Post by billswire » Tue May 05, 2020 3:23 pm

Does anyone have any tips for home-spraying my project, in my garden?

It's warm, my project is complete, we're in COVID-19 lockdown, and I'm tempted to paint it myself to save time and money.

I have an air compressor but it's only 6.8CFM which seems to limit my options. I've looked up rolling the paint on using fine foam rollers, too... Aerosols (i.e. Rustoleum paints) would seem to be an expensive and heavy option - but possible.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has any recommendations based on experience?

Best to all,
=bill
Bill Swire

coxargus

Re: Spraying my aircraft

Post by coxargus » Wed May 06, 2020 10:16 am

I invested in one of these - simple to use and set up (Poly Fiber paints)

https://www.axminstertools.com/fuji-sem ... tem-501285

Worth every penny for a professional finish to what, after all, has been a labour of love.

You can always sell it if you have no further use for it.

Frank Cox
Frank Cox

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Thu May 07, 2020 6:30 am

Bill,

When you say "spray in my garden" I presume you don't actually mean that?
I assume you have a tent or similar to protect your spray job from flying insects?

If not your paintwork will get covered in insects etc. and ruin your work.
Also spraying in the open air is a challenge if you want to apply good and even coats.
Really need to be done indoors, but not in your lounge!

Tony
Tony Nowak

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sat May 09, 2020 7:44 am

Hi Bill, if you are inexperienced and doing it 'in the garden' then I'd certainly go with HVLP equipment, it saves on materials and produces far less overspray. I'd steer clear of two pack polyurethanes for two reasons. First they are very toxic and you need to use an air fed mask, and second they are less forgiving than nitro-cellulose based products, runs can be an absolute pain to get rid off but with cellulose you can flat out imperfections and polish the surface back up.
If you are spraying fabric, don't skimp on automotive based products, they do not contain sufficient plasticisers and although you can add them, they are rarely as good in the longer term as proper aviation paints, Randolph nitrate and butyrate dopes are well regarded. Whatever paint system you use, read up on it so you understand how it works, and don't get clever and mix and match, many products simply do not work with materials from a different system.
And use a decent tent or even a jury rigged polythene shelter in warm, but not overly hot, calm conditions.
Oh, an get some practice - the most important thing is not to have the trigger pulled if the gun is stationary, start moving the gun, pull the trigger, let it off and then stop moving the gun.
Good luck, and let us know how you get on. Brian