New project query

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

craigrhopkins

New project query

Post by craigrhopkins » Thu May 28, 2020 10:00 am

Morning all...
Wondering if someone can enlighten me regarding starting a new project please?

What's the ideal order of things?
Find an inspector wililng to do the work? Then inform the LAA? Then just keep on liaising with inspector till built?

What happens if the design is not on the LAA approved list - but falls into the microlight SSDR category?

Technically outside of LAA as SSDR but keen to ensure I have some experienced and knowledgable individual looking over all aspects of the build.

My thanks
Craig
Craig Hopkins

tnowak

Re: New project query

Post by tnowak » Fri May 29, 2020 7:03 am

Best e-mail LAA engineering with your query.
They should answer in a few days.

Tony
Tony Nowak

craigrhopkins

Post by craigrhopkins » Fri May 29, 2020 1:25 pm

My thanks...
Done
Awaiting to hear from them :)
Regards
Craig Hopkins

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:38 am

Craig,
I don't think it really matters if you inform the LAA first, then find an inspector, or viz versa. What does matter is that you have your build book and documentation from the LAA when your inspector does his first visit. This will involve an inspection of your workplace, go through the build manual, and inspection of what parts you have (if any). They will then sign the build book.
IIRC the LAA ask who the inspector will be when you register a build, but TBA is OK.

I personally would find an inspector first, informally, and check they have the capacity and are willing to take on a new project. Then register with the LAA. Once books recieved arrange first inspection when your workshop is ready.

SSDR, just go ahead and build it. No involvement from LAA required. If you want coaching, then an inspector may be willing to assist, however it will be outside of the LAA and many will not be willing. I would like to see formal support from the LAA in the build of SSDR, just to stop stupid mistakes being made, but suspect that will involve red tape that the SSDR group was trying to avoid. I would also check out the BMAA position on this.
Ian Melville

craigrhopkins

Post by craigrhopkins » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:37 pm

Thanks Ian... good advice :)
Craig Hopkins