Hose Pressure Testing

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Lomcovaks

Hose Pressure Testing

Post by Lomcovaks » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:02 am

I'm doing the annual on my CofA aircraft and I'm renewing some of the fluid hoses on the aircraft. There are only a half dozen in total; oil cooler and braking system.

They'll need pressure testing again in a few years and I wonder if anybody has the details of companies that will perform this to aviation standards and a rough idea of cost?

I'm based in Bucks/Berks area so anywhere local (ish) would be good or else I could post them.

Many thanks.

Lom

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:19 am

It may be worth trying Earl's at Silverstone circuit.
01803 869850
They make and supply motorsport hoses etc.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:49 am

If your a/c is CofA the work will have to be signed for by the engineer covering you.He will undoubtably have an organisation that he uses.I would suggest you use the same one as he might not be happy signing for someone else's work.

Lomcovaks

Hose Pressure Tests

Post by Lomcovaks » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:03 am

Thanks J.C. however, I do the work on my CofA aircraft and my engineer signs off my work!

As long as the hoses meet the requirements of the pressure test they'll be fine. In fact, removing them to perform the test probably creates more of a risk. Car hoses experience much higher temperatures and you hardly ever see one of them fail these days do you?

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:14 am

Saywell International manufacture and test hoses. Take a look at their website: http://www.saywell.co.uk/pages/HoseShop.htm
TN

Simon Ring

Post by Simon Ring » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:18 pm

I would always go to a fully approved and recognised testing facility such as tnowak suggested. Saywell have been undertaking hose manufacturing and testing for years and return your hoses with EASA Form one release documentation that is required.
Simon

Lomcovaks

Hose Pressure Testing

Post by Lomcovaks » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:52 pm

Simon and Tnowak,

Thank you for the link and advice, it's just what I'm looking for.

Much appreciated,

Lom

Trevor Lyons

Post by Trevor Lyons » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:54 pm

On a Permit aircraft, one might consider using stainless braided hoses, which can take fantastic pressures. For example, Goodrige of Exeter make up replacement brake hoses to order. I recently replaced the rubber front brake hoses on my Yamaha TRX850 motorbike with Goodridge braided hoses and I am very pleased with the quality.
formerly "arriviste" (ARV-ist!)

Mike Mold

Post by Mike Mold » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:23 pm

I'd recommend Goodridge too. Top quality products at reasonable prices, made to your spec and quick turn round time. I've used them for my gascolator to carb fuel line in my Jodel.

Stuart Goodridge has an aviation background having been a regular in the SW flying scene with a/c as diverse as his RF5 and Yak.
http://www.goodridge.net/uk/index.htm
Mike Mold
Jodel D112 G-BHNL
Watchford Farm, Devon
www.devonstrut.co.uk

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:58 am

The nuclear industry use the "Swagelok" company for many pressure hoses and fittings. They will make up hoses with the end the fittings you require, are very high quality and are tested before release, with paperwork. There will be an agent in a city near you.

Simon Ring

Post by Simon Ring » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:07 pm

PaulHS,

Can you expand on NEW EASA Regs's. What ones, in particular.

Simon

Simon Ring

Post by Simon Ring » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:43 pm

Paul,

I was simply asking for the benefit of those that might be interested.

Simon