Learning - Fabric - Help!?

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

steveyggz

Learning - Fabric - Help!?

Post by steveyggz » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi fellow LAA members,

I own a Rollason Condor and need to do some Fabric re-covering, specifically to the rudder for permit. Would anyone be able to help me learn how to do this? Ideally I would like to shadow somone doing this if possible? (Social Distance / COVID measures in place of course!)
I am hands on, (spark by trade!) but have no experience in this skill so any help appreciated. Im based near Whitby, N.Yorks but happy to travel. Alternatively if anyone can recommend a good book to learn from whilst practicing on non A/C structures to get my head round this witchcraft😀 TIA. Stephen.
Stephen Teasdale

Gerry Holland

Re: Learning - Fabric - Help!?

Post by Gerry Holland » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:20 am

Stephen
Take a look here. It might well help.
https://tinyurl.com/y7hxcxhb
or
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... aft+rudder
Gerry

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:10 am

Hi Stephen I had some repairs to do a couple years ago on a Shadow and bought a Poly-Fiber practice kit from Aircraft Spruce. Read the comprehensive leaflet with it, watched YouTube video and then agve it couple of goes. then did repair - quite satis. I'd recommend the kit - especially as it gave me enough 'stuff' to do my repair after the 2 x practices. good luck.
Harry Cook

steveyggz

Post by steveyggz » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:03 am

Thanks Gerry & Harry, will take a look and let you know how I get on! 😀
Stephen Teasdale

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:23 am

Stephen,

Do you know what your aircraft is covered in? Ceconite or something else?
I ask as it is best to stick with the same covering process as used on the wings and airframe.

I can send you the Ceconite methods guide which contains very good information and should allow you to cover a rudder without too much difficulty.
Tony
Tony Nowak

steveyggz

Post by steveyggz » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:47 am

Hi Tony,

Thanks, funilly enough I literally ordered the Ceconite guile from LAS yesterday 😀.

So, I honestly dont know for sure what the current covering is, but I did have a chat with my Inspector and we agreed that Ceconite would be the way forward, looking at the sales info on LAS probably the Original / 101 covering I think, but I hope once I have read the book I will have a better idea. Actually quite looking forward to doing it 😀. Plan to have a few practices too with a picture frame or similar.

Thanks again,
Stephen
Stephen Teasdale

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:47 pm

Stephen,

I may have some fabric, tapes and wax cord left over from my fairly recent fuselage and rudder recover project.

Let me know what you may need and I can have a look.
Unless you know someone with the paints and dopes you require you will find you can only purchase 1 US Gallon cans of what you need from LAS.
From memory it will be about 4 or 5 cans:
Nitrate, Butyrate tan, silver butyrate, possibly white butyrate and then the topcoat butyrate.
Plus the thinners....
Let me know if you need any other tips or advice. PM me if necessary.
Tony
Tony Nowak

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:05 pm

Stephen,

Ceconite practice kits are available. We have just used one for repairs to a wing and I would think that there is probably enough in one to do a rudder recover. I can't remember where the kit came from but could find out at the weekend unless someone else pops up here with the answer.

My preference would be to use a Polyfiber repair kit which together with their manual explains it all in great detail so that even an idiot can do a reasonable job. That must be the case as I recovered my Jodel wing in Polifiber a couple of years ago!! :D

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:13 am

Stephen,
Page 2 of the Ceconite manual shows the PMA stamp that is on their fabric each yard. Obviously you will need to remove the existing cover to find the stamp. There is a risk that the rudder may miss all the stamps, but you may see it elsewhere eg, through wing inspection hole.
Not seen one but Stits Poly Fire has an identification mark at one yard as well.

If you have the paperwork for the aircraft, you may find a previous recover mentioned in a work schedule or receipt/invoice. It should include materials used.
Last edited by Ian Melville on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Melville

steveyggz

Post by steveyggz » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:14 am

tnowak wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:47 pm
Stephen,

I may have some fabric, tapes and wax cord left over from my fairly recent fuselage and rudder recover project.

Let me know what you may need and I can have a look.
Unless you know someone with the paints and dopes you require you will find you can only purchase 1 US Gallon cans of what you need from LAS.
From memory it will be about 4 or 5 cans:
Nitrate, Butyrate tan, silver butyrate, possibly white butyrate and then the topcoat butyrate.
Plus the thinners....
Let me know if you need any other tips or advice. PM me if necessary.
Tony
Thanks Tony - much appreciated. I will have a look through the book once it arrives and it would be great to do some practice pieces with some left over materials if possible.
Stephen Teasdale

steveyggz

Post by steveyggz » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:20 am

Ian Melville wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:13 am
Stephen,
Page 2 of the Ceconite manual shows the PMA stamp that is on their fabric each yard. Obviously you will need to remove the existing cover to find the stamp. There is a risk that the rudder may miss all the stamps, but you may see it elsewhere eg, through wing inspection hole.
Not seen one but Stits Poly Fire has an identification mark at one yard as well.

If you have the paperwork for the aircraft, you may find a previous recover mentioned in a work schedule or receipt/invoice. It should include materials used.
Great thanks Ian, yes it would be good to know where to get a practice kit from - having a play on some frames would be good and actually sounds fun. :)
Stephen Teasdale

steveyggz

Post by steveyggz » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:26 am

Ian Melville wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:13 am
Stephen,

Aaah I didnt know that, since its my first time working on fabric its a little scarey pulling off the fabric (of course it has to be done :) ) but thats good to know when the time comes to look for a marking.
Luckily I have loads and loads of paperwork which I can trawl through over the weekend aswell :)

My inspector is really helpful and supportive too so he will be with me to assit and advise.

It looks like having a practice kit is a good way forward for me too.
Stephen Teasdale