Replacements for legacy (Whelan type) wing tip nav/strobes

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Flying John

Replacements for legacy (Whelan type) wing tip nav/strobes

Post by Flying John » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:40 am

I am looking to replace our Wing tip Nav/strobe lights and would ideally like to get a type that would fit in the same place and possibly with the same planform as the existing ones. I have found LED "Legacy Nav/Strobe assemblies" that appear to be a direct replacement, but seem to be out of stock. The Metal Seagulls type and offerings from Smooth aviation are a different size and would leave me with paintwork and holes to move/fill etc and wondered if anyone else had faced this issue and found an upgrade path for older light fittings, at a reasonable cost. At the moment I have LED lamps fitted to the old fittings but want to upgrade to give combined strobe and nav lights.
John Luck

BobD

Re: Replacements for legacy (Whelan type) wing tip nav/strobes

Post by BobD » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:53 am

Hi John,
I am not sure what aircraft you fly, nor am I familiar with the Whelan type strobes, but I fitted combined nav/position/strobes to my Europa from this company, so may be worth a look.

https://www.aveoengineering.com/lsa-exp ... d-gliders/

I also recall from last years Rally that there was a company new to the market that had similar lighting arrangements for sale, but I can't recall their name. I remember being impressed with their offering, and from what I recall, they where cheaper than the comparative offering from Aveo. They had a small marquee towards the back left of the field, maybe someone else can recall their name?
Bob Dawson

Flying John

Re: Replacements for legacy (Whelan type) wing tip nav/strobes

Post by Flying John » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:28 pm

Thanks Bob - yes I remember the stand as they had an array of lights and a button you could push to be blinded by the LED strobe.
I would really like to find the direct replacement LED version with the Whelan type mount but seems out of stock.:

John Luck