IMC/Night approvals.

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

MikeMason

IMC/Night approvals.

Post by MikeMason » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:01 pm

I'm a complete newbie here - just buying an Aeroprakt A32 Vixxen (converting from rotary R44) to build. I'd love to lift the VMC restriction, but found this sentence in TL 2.27

"This table will be reviewed and updated from time to time, however in general the LAA would support a recommendation for removal of Day VFR limitations for a type which has a wing loading less than 60 kg/m2"

Maybe because I'm dumb, or just new, but I can't find where this restriction is set, and any new information on it or whether there have been any moves to lift it (my wing loading about 48kg/m2 at MTOW). I'd love to hear if there is any more I can glean before I head off specifying an IMC panel.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Mason

Ian Melville

Re: IMC/Night approvals.

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:32 pm

I am confused now, I thought that it was likely that aircraft under 60Kg/m2 would not be approved due to the fact they are affected by gusts.
Your quote from TL 2.27 says the opposite.

Quoting from LAA today Jan 2017
This list will be reviewed and updated from time to time, but it is unlikely that LAA would support a recommendation for approval of a type which has a wing loading less than 60kg/sq m due to concerns regarding pilot workload in conditions of turbulence.
I would suggest you get this verified before you proceed.

Sorry for throwing a bucket of water on your plans :oops:
Ian Melville