Glues

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

craigrhopkins

Glues

Post by craigrhopkins » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:50 pm

Greetings all... wondering if you can help with a glue question...

Prefene 4050 is one of the 2 local glues suggested for wooden construction. I have played with it on some scap but wasn't wonderfully thrilled with it...
I have been trying to compare it to:

https://www.abe.co.za/wp-content/upload ... mix372.pdf

in particular the compression (70 MPa) and and tensile (+-30MPa) strength.... I can't seem to find the data on it...any help would be greatly appreciated :)
thanks
Craig Hopkins

ColinC

Re: Glues

Post by ColinC » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:24 am

Craig,

Am not familiar with that adhesive but I suspect you might find it difficult to get LAA approval to use it. They are not unnaturally conservative.

Prefere aka Aerodux has a long and known history which is why it is still widely used, does not deteriorate over time and is stable in high temperatures. Epoxy does have the issue of softening at higher temperatures that has limited its use in the UK.

However, I think you should discuss the issue with LAA Engineering as I have been allowed to use West Epoxy on a couple of projects with certain limitations. I would say from my experience that West Epoxy ticks all the boxes for me. From my own tests I am very impressed with its penetration and reliability. It can also be used with fillers where appropriate.

Hope this helps even if it doesn’t answer your original question.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese

mike newall

Re: Glues

Post by mike newall » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:30 pm

West System is a recognised system, there is a tendency for LAA to want you to use a light top finish if areas underneath are subject to heating.

That said, the One Design aerobatic aeroplanes have their mainspar and skins glued on with West, they are stressed +10/-10g and several in the USA are painted dark or black without any catastrophes :lol:

Easily obtainable at a yacht chandlers, I use East Coast Fibreglass Supplies. As mentioned, get the correct fillers and micro for different areas. Flox and Silica are structural, Micro is for finishing and fairing.