Spraying dope with HVLP

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ColinC

Spraying dope with HVLP

Post by ColinC » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:33 am

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience spraying coloured dope using HVLP? Just wondering how easy/practical it is.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese

mike newall

Re: Spraying dope with HVLP

Post by mike newall » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:25 pm

Depends which system you are referring to.

Either way, it sprays fine.

I am talking the difference between a turbine sprayer and an air line fed one. They both run a similar gun, should be about 1.2 or 1.3mm nozzle. The only thing I would want to ensure with the turbine unit is has it got protection for sparks present in a potentially combustible atmosphere.

They both should run at about 40psi and provide much reduced paint usage and over-spray. Thing with dope is make sure your environment is dry or use blushing retarder as it tends to blush if not. Not the end of the world, it polishes out.

I have sprayed dope and rolled dope using a fluffy roller - worked very well, but you need to keep moving as it dries quickly.

If it is a build coat and you intend to finish with a polyurethane finish, stay with nitrate chemistry, do not swap to butyrate as the top coat won't adhere as well. If you are finishing as a satin finish (the best imho) then transition to butyrate after the silver.