Radio problems

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Captain Pulsar

Radio problems

Post by Captain Pulsar » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:37 am

I appear to have an intermittant transmission problem. On an outbound flight yesterday I was having difficulty making myself heard over anything more than 5 miles, transmitting at strength 1 or less, but was hearing everyone else strength 5.

Later on, another flight I was transmitting over 25 miles and being heard strength 5. I could recieve London info no problem and heard everybody else clear as a bell at all times. I've wiggled all the connections to no avail!

As such I guess the ariel is ok but perhaps the set is going. Its an Icom A20 and its probably 15 years old now.

I'm clueless with radios, any suggestions, or is it time for a new radio?

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:29 am

I am no avionics expert but a few obvious points;

The radio will be using much more power transmitting than receiving. Is there a power problem?

Have you got a meter and checked all the connections?

Can you borrow another A20 to try it?

Hope you get it fixed,

BR,
Rod

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:45 pm

Try another headset before binning the radio!

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:03 pm

I know it's obvious, but have you tried plugging the headset into the P2 sockets? (Assuming you have such...)

Captain Pulsar

Post by Captain Pulsar » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:50 pm

Hmm, yes, headsets could be a possibility. I'll check the mikes and see if I can reproduce the fault.

Dave Holl

Poor radio

Post by Dave Holl » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:22 pm

iI there is any problem with the aerial/feeder it will show up on transmission rather than on receive. If possible I would check the aerial connections to the coax feeder and the ground plane, in the past I have had exactly the same problem on my Jodel and it was a loose connection to the ground plane. (dont know the installation on the pulsar is the aerial built into the composite structure?) One other way of checking it is to get hold of a VSWR Meter which plugs in place of the radio and will tell you the efficency of the aerial and feeders. If you are anywere near me (west sussex) I may be able to help.
rgds
dave

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:34 am

As you know your radio well, and the fact you say reception was loud and clear at all times, it is unlikely to be an antenna problem. It would be worth trying to call again the frequency you had problems with - that will give you an idea as to whether the problem is frequency dependent.
It is possible you have a microphone problem though that should have given symptoms of "strength 5 / readability 2".
TN

Captain Pulsar

Post by Captain Pulsar » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:44 am

Thanks everyone for your prompt suggestions.
Yes the aerial is sealed inside the vertical fin and not accessible.
It was Brize radar that I had the problem with, she could'nt hear me until I was almost in the zone.
However, returning 3 hours later in the same place and the same frequency it was fine. The headsets are the only variable in the mix, and I did have to get one set fixed last year, so thats my first port of call.

Dave,
If I get no joy with the headsets I might just take up your kind offer. I'm based at Deanland near Lewes so only a few minutes from you. I'll let you know how it goes.

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:08 am

Captain, you have a PM (not about radios though!) Richard
Richard