VP-X Pro and Night IFR certification

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

bpolwin

VP-X Pro and Night IFR certification

Post by bpolwin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:46 pm

Reaching the business end of my RV-7 project I'm putting some serious thought into the panel. I am looking for advice and information on the use of VP-X Pro for Night IFR. TL 2.28 briefly mentions Vertical Power but doesn't answer the question.

I guess what I need to know is if the 2 independant processors and power sources prodcued by the VP-X Pro are actually considered as independant power sources by the LAA when looking at the single point of failure principle for a full glass cockpit?

I had also initially planned dual alternators with the back up running a small conventionally powered essential services bus bar which could be switched over to in the event of failure but I am starting to think this might be over doing it? If I can get away with 1 alternator I will.

I'm comfortable with knowing what I can and can't operate with in the event of various failures and weighing up my own risks, what I really need help with is hitting the MINIMUM LAA night IFR requirement with respect to Vertical Power then I can go up from there! Help and advice would be most appreciated!

Thank-you.

Ben
Ben Polwin
RV-7 - Finishing Kit
Lincolnshire