Cadmium plated bolts and aircraft fittings.

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

g-strk

Post by g-strk » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:14 am

Many aircraft bolts and fittings are Cadmium plated. A while ago I heard that it is not a good idea to have direct contact with cadmium. So I did a bit of reading.

What is the LAA’s view on this ?

Now, leaving out radiation control, the features that make cadmium attractive are: good corrosion resistance, solderability, cathodic protection of steel, galvanic compatibility with aluminum, excellent lubricity, freedom from stick-slip when torquing, malleability, economy, and no gummy and voluminous corrosion products.

Most cadmium plated bolts -- and most zinc plated bolts as well -- also have hexavalent chromate conversion coatings on them, and hexavalent chromate is another toxin.

Cadmium is considered a hazardous material, so don't touch it with bare skin as part of regular work duties.

So I think the short answer is you should be wearing gloves if handling them and certainly don’t hold a bolt with your lips, as a 3rd hand, even for a moment while assembling a part.

As a follow up is the use of stainless steel fittings a better solution to corrosion resistance for bolts, nuts and turnbuckles ?
Erik Hadley

Ian Melville

Re: Cadmium plated bolts and aircraft fittings.

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:34 pm

Not an LAA view,

IIRC On an Aluminium structure there is an increased risk of corrosion with stainless steel fittings, more so with magnetic stainless steel(Type 410), which is not a recommended as a fastener on aluminium parts.

You would also need to match the specification of the original fittings.

Suggest you speak with LAA Engineering first.
Ian Melville

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:52 pm

As a (very) general rule, a solid metal isn't going to poison you unless you work with them a lot/try very hard.

Powders are bad -- you inhale them (so be careful sawing/filing).

Vapours are bad -- you inhale them too (so welding is a hazard).

Solutions are bad because the metals are in an ionic and hence potentially reactive state.

But I wouldn't loose any sleep handling the occasional cadmium-plated nut/bolt. (Different matter if I was working in the factory doing the cadmium plating.)

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:47 pm

Don't lick your nuts :lol:
Ian Melville

Gerry Holland

Post by Gerry Holland » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:12 pm