Clutton FRED Advice

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

wheelbarrow

Clutton FRED Advice

Post by wheelbarrow » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:41 pm

Hi all,
My friend and I have "inherited" an almost completed FRED project from the daughter of the now departed Jack Cullen in Prestwick.
This aircraft has been in build for 40 years plus and deserves to be completed. My Co-partner -in- crime, whose father was a fellow LAA builder in that part of Scotland, and I are trying to finish this aircraft and keep costs as low as possible.
Most of the parts are here save for the VW engine frame. It was built with the shorter fuselage and I am reluctant to alter it structurally.
My question is:- does anyone know of an engine frame or jig available that would save me a considerable amount of work?
Any information on this wonderful design would be very much appreciated.

Mike Dolphin
G CJNL
Mike Dolphin

Mike Place

Re: Clutton FRED Advice

Post by Mike Place » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:12 am

Hi,
the Fred you mentioned ,if is a high wing monoplane then I know where there is one . However
It is not mine. I do know it’s flown and had a good engine, unfortunately it has been neglected
for many years now . The owner said he had issues with the engine ignition system.
I will ask him if if he can help you with the engine frame.
Mike.