1834VW spark plugs

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

JimCrawford

1834VW spark plugs

Post by JimCrawford » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:18 pm

Any recommendations for spark plugs for a Rollason Ardem 1834 engine?
The Rollason engine data sheet says Lodge HN or Champion LT which are old designations. The current alternatives appear to be Champion L82C or Bosch W7AC. However the Beetle suppliers all say the original manufacture plugs were Bosch W8AC. I suspect that there is only a little heat difference but I am looking for a more certain opinion.
Also should the plugs be the version with an installed resistor, WR8AC rather than W8AC. The ignition system is the Leburg type.

Ta

Jim
Jim Crawford

rogcal

Re: 1834VW spark plugs

Post by rogcal » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:45 pm

Hi Jim

First of all, a plug with resistance built in will not be a problem with a Leburg system however, if it were running on a mag I would personally steer clear of plugs with built in resistance. The mags have to overcome the resistance and as a consequence will suffer in the long term.

On my Luton Minor and VP1 both utilising Lucas SR4 mags, I made sure the ignition system was screened throughout and leads, plugs and plug caps were all without inbuilt resistance and the screening (well earthed) ensured the RF pulses didn't interfere with radio reception/transmission.

As for a suitable plug, the Bosch WR8AC or AP should be fine.
Roger Callow

JimCrawford

Post by JimCrawford » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:44 am

Many thanks Roger,
I've gone for a set of Bosch WR8AC which happened to be under offer at Europarts for 90p (!) each. These are for my Ardem engine in the Nipper. Last year I gave my SR4 'Peacock' set to a school in Newquay who are refurbishing a FRED. In exchange they have cut the second plug hole in the cylinder heads of the engine that will go in my Taylor Mono. They were set up to do this work as part of their STEM studies. This second set is for 10mm plugs, do you have any recommendation for this size?

Thanks

Jim
Jim Crawford

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:45 pm

I really couldn't comment on 10mm dia plugs as never having used them in a VW conversion however, a quick comparison with the Bosch WR8AC came up with the UR6AC as a likely candidate. The heat range of this plug should be OK for the purpose.
Roger Callow

Cooperman

Post by Cooperman » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:07 am

I've been looking for the UR6AC but stuggling to find a supplier. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Paul.
Paul Cooper