Degaussing a steel tube airframe

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Roy Nerou

Degaussing a steel tube airframe

Post by Roy Nerou » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:39 pm

We have recently bought a Piper Cub and the problem we've got is that the compass which is mounted in the middle and on top of the instrument panel in the standard Cub position has a large deviation that is outside the normal compass compensation range. I need to degauss the airframe tubes at least locally around this area to enable reasonable deviation. I've checked its not the compass as have fitted a new one and that swings around exactly the same amount as the original. Because the aircraft has been fitted with a newly overhauled engine it was suggested that maybe the crank had been magnetised during crack detection and not been demagnetised but I have checked the engine and that’s not the source of the problem. Has anyone had experience of degaussing a steel tube airframe?

David Kean

Post by David Kean » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:52 pm

Have you got an electronic tacho ? these are huge magnets.
I had some success on a pitts with a tape eraser.

http://www.degausser.co.uk/degauss/250.htm

David

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:22 am

There was a discussion on the old BB about this: http://www.pfa.org.uk/cgi-bin/ultimateb ... 029#000000

Roy Nerou

Post by Roy Nerou » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Nick, David
Many thanks for the info, I have just looked at the old BB regarding this topic and is at least nice to know its not just us that have had this problem.

Les James

Post by Les James » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:39 pm

Chilton,

I have degaussing equipment that I have used with reasonable success on steel tube fuselages. You are welcome to use it.