VW engine for conversion

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

JimCrawford

VW engine for conversion

Post by JimCrawford » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:46 am

Hi All,

I've just taken delivery of some VW engines and parts for conversion. In the pile is a type 4 engine which I don't need as I'm more interested in the type 1 which is fitted to the small single seaters - Nipper, Taylor Monoplane and the like.
The type 4 is slightly larger with sturdier internal parts and an aluminium crankcase which is not susceptible to cracks, unlike the aluminium/magnesium alloy of the type 1.
Consequently the engine is a bit heavier but also, because of the increased spacing of the cylinders, can be taken to higher capacity and power than the type 1. It would be more suitable for the VW powered two seaters.

This engine is 'as removed from the vehicle' so is a bit grubby, has no accessories - is essentially a long block- The oil pump is missing but may be in the big box of bits. It comes with a spare crankcase and cylinder heads.

:shock: Free :shock: to collect from Oxford.

PM or email jimcrawfordDOToxfordATgmail.com or 07757265030
Jim Crawford

Solo

Re: VW engine for conversion

Post by Solo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:13 pm

Hi ,
A type 1 engine for aero fetch a lot of money .

( not much bang for your buck )

A modified 2 cylinder type 1 would be the way forward and the weight would match a type 1 aero engine .
Chris O'mahoney

Ian Melville

Re: VW engine for conversion

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:38 pm

Cannot help feeling that Chris is answering a different question :wink:

Cheers
Ian Melviille
Ian Melville