Returning faulty goods to the USA

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

AlanR

Returning faulty goods to the USA

Post by AlanR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi,
I have just returned a faulty AH back to the USA (bought in March 2008)and the manufacturer has without quibble agreed to replace FOC ,which was the easy bit.
The problem arises over import VAT and duty. Having spoken with HM Customs today, they say that if the manufacturer replaces the unit FOC I have to pay import vat and duty again however if the unit is 'repaired' free of all charges no duty is payable at all.
I now have to try to get this company to mark the goods thus but without much hope of this happening I think.
Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen when returning faulty goods to the US and how did you get around it? I am looking at another £200 duty here that I have paid once!

mike lloyd

Post by mike lloyd » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:41 pm

hello
i had the same problem when i had to send back my engine monitor to the states there is no legal way of avoiding the Tax in the uk they told me the equipment had to be returned whithin 28 days to avoid extra tax.
i had £280 extra to pay for thier problem they wernt to helpful in marking the shipment as repaired either
cheers
mike

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:11 am

I am sure others will tell me if I am wrong, but isn't this all to do with the declared value written on the customs form? As your repaired unit is now "second hand" surely its value is well below the new price? Can't the repair company/manufacturer simply mark the form "Warranty repair" and give a zero or nominal value?
Regards

Tony Nowak

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:19 am

The supplier(TruTrak) has now going to mark the replacement AH, 'Warranty item replaced at no charge to the customer' which they believed would get around the problem.
Having once again spoke to HM Customs and Excise this morning they still are adamant that I will have to pay Import Vat and Duty again because the returned goods have not been 'repaired' under warranty merely replaced.
This seems a total nonsense, I have told them so but there seems nothing I can do..grrrr!!

PB

Post by PB » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:20 pm

I think a letter to http://www.financeandtaxtribunals.gov.uk/ will be required.

The situation you are in is clearly madness and they are the guys to sort it out.

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:25 pm

Thanks 'PB' I wasn't aware of that website or that I could appeal.