Spray systems

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

JimCrawford

Re: Spray systems

Post by JimCrawford » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:11 pm

The standard silver UV coat is rather dark and dull. Rather than overcoat with clear I've thought (for a future project with silver wings) that I would use one of the metallic silver finish coats - Nevada Silver springs to mind, although I don't have the Ceconite colour chart to hand to check. As a bonus I think that these metallics are also UV blocking so could perhaps be substituted for the standard silver UV coats and save weight and cost.
I seem to remember that the Ceconite manual (available free online) also mentions that yellow, orange and red tints are slightly translucent and become darker and duller over the standard silver UV coats. The fix is to spray a white undercoat.

Jim
Jim Crawford

maxmotoring

Re: Spray systems

Post by maxmotoring » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:07 am

Hi Mike, The wings are staying silver. Strangely enough with the passage of 5 weeks the surface seems have sunk down to a more acceptable finish, if this is possible, so will stick with it! The fuselage has been dark colour coated with my usual flair, although I have used 4 litres of colour butyrate, I still have a rough finish, so will clear coat with clear butyrate as you suggest. I think my main problem especially with the dark colour is actually being able to see the wet line! I may be moving too fast.
Anyway I have the registration and trim on and from a distance it looks great!
My question today is should I apply a water slide decal before or after I have sprayed the butyrate clear coats?
Thanks for everyone’s replies.
David Elliott