Mod Approval

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Sean McDonald

Mod Approval

Post by Sean McDonald » Wed May 18, 2022 5:27 pm

I've submitted a strobes mod for my aircraft. Initially it just listed the application thus AVEO POWERBURST NAV/STROBE LIGHTS, then a number (20) appeared before it and now 12 as here (12) AVEO POWERBURST NAV/STROBE LIGHTS.

Can anyone tell me what these numbers mean as I am unable to find any explantion on the mod paperwork or web.

Thank you.

Rob Swain

Re: Mod Approval

Post by Rob Swain » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:22 pm

Looks like everybody else is as mystified by the Mod system as you are, including inspectors!

I am (or more likely was) pursuing what should be a really straightforward mod with standard kit but confronted with massively repetitive paperwork (everything on MOD2 has to be re-entered on MOD3!) and questions that I have no idea how to answer - or even where to begin to look for an answer - I think I am just going to forget about the whole thing.

I have submitted a 'new' radio mod as well recently.
All that has changed is the GPS source for the Trig transponder has changed from a GPS296 to a Trig TN72.
Why it requires ALL the existing, unchanged and approved avionics to be listed and tested all over again is beyond me!
Why it has been ignored for 2 months eludes me too. I know it was received - it was sent with my permit renewal/revalidation and that was turned around in 2 days!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

alioth

Re: Mod Approval

Post by alioth » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:24 pm

While I do love the LAA, the required mod procedure and forms for simple changes to radios seems over the top and unnecessarily burdensome - when you can fit the same radios to a certified aircraft under CS-STAN. I wish the LAA would adopt a principle that its procedures/regs should never be more onerous than CAA/EASA ones.
Dylan Smith