Zips

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

GBCHP

Zips

Post by GBCHP » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:26 pm

I hace a Rans s7 which has the battery quite far aft and while it is reachable, it is perhaps best treated as a female dog. I'd like to add a V configured Zip access panel alongside the battery bay on the fuselage side and have read the engineering notes - it seems to be a 'trivial' mod, and the methods of applying the zips in a thread on this forum. Other than aesthetics, is there a downside to adding a zip that I should be aware of? Is there a 'best way' - maybe V up? V down?

David

GBCHP

Re: Zips

Post by GBCHP » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:32 pm

While we're on it...why is the battery so far aft in the S7 anyway? It would make MUCH more sense to have the battery in the engine bay (easier access and shorter cables to name but two) and pay the price of a kilo of lead at the tail: the battery only weight about 7kg. Is there a reason for the battery to be so far aft other than balance? If there is I'd like to know it because in 40 years of flying I havent found one.

David