AIRCREW INSTRUMENT

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

dun0eag

AIRCREW INSTRUMENT

Post by dun0eag » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:20 pm

We're trying to set up the DI-magnetometer on our Aircrew Instrument but there isn’t anything in the instructions on how to do this. We've tried to copy Dynon’s method and the calibration ring slowly increases the green arc but we can never get it all the way around the circle.

If anyone out there has one of these and could suggest a way ahead we would be grateful.

dino

Re: AIRCREW INSTRUMENT

Post by dino » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:57 pm

I used to have one and I just put it in cal mode and pulled the aeroplane around through 360deg. I think that was it.
Dion Casey

dun0eag

Post by dun0eag » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:51 pm

Thanks Dino. Today we finally managed to try what you suggested, although because of the long grass we turned the aircraft around under power - self castoring nosewheel. At first it seemed not to work. As we turned, the red circle turned green only between 4-5 and 7-9. But, when we took the instrument out of config and taxied back to the hangar the DI appeared to be within 2 degrees of perfect. So, we are going to suck it and see when we next get the chance to actually fly. Thanks again.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:44 am

I wanted to test this but had to update the firmware to get the ring first, no bad thing.

Mine is sucker mounted, so I rotated it in all three directions for a good five minutes and almost got a complete green ring. It looks as if you have to rotate slowly though. I fully expected to get a message saying it was done, or that was good enough, but nothing.

With a fitted unit it would be unreasonable to rotate in anything other than horizontal, so I suspect the on screen instructions prior to the update only for a loose unit.

I stopped the calibration in the end and suspect I will find, like dun0eag, that the calibration is OK. Would be nice if the instructions were more informative.
Ian Melville

dun0eag

Post by dun0eag » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:45 pm

We have now flown several times since we said we would "suck it and see" and the DI is always within a degree or two of the other indication we have on the Dynon. So, all well.

As Ian Melville says, its a pity the instructions were not more informative.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:02 pm

Thanks for the update
Ian Melville