Permit Renewals Sign Off

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

huddart33

Permit Renewals Sign Off

Post by huddart33 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:13 am

Why doesn’t the LAA adopt the similar system as the BMAA, CAA & BGA by giving the Inspector’s the responsibility of signing off the Permit to Fly renewals at the Permit Inspection. This would eliminate the delays we are now seeing. The LAA obviously don’t trust their own inspectors….
Malcolm Huddart

Matt Dovey

Re: Permit Renewals Sign Off

Post by Matt Dovey » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:13 pm

Not really sure what you mean by "BMAA, CAA & BGA by giving the Inspector’s the responsibility of signing off the Permit to Fly renewals at the Permit Inspection". When I carry out a permit renewal inspection on a BMAA microlight I dont sign off the permit to fly renewal any more than I do when I do a LAA permit renewal inspection. I either submit a BMAA/AW/007 Issue 9 or LAA/ARR-1 Issue 5. Then either the BMAA or the LAA will issue a certificate of validity. As far as I can recall it is the same for a CAA permit. No idea what the BGA do. At the point of issue of the cert of validity is when the permit to fly is "renewed".

huddart33

Post by huddart33 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:21 pm

Maybe I got the wording wrong by using the word ‘Permit’, I should have said that the BGA & CAA Inspectors (appropriately qualified) can issue an ARC Renewal on the day. The documents still have to go via the appropriate CAO (CAMO) to be checked and then be sent to the CAA. I find the LAA System dated, I can’t see why the LAA/BMAA Inspector be trusted to issue the Permit to Fly when they do the Physically Inspection of the Aircraft and Paperwork, instead of a Desk Clerk just looking at bits of paper and adding delays. Granted the system has worked well up to recently, when the system was changed and the LAA lost most of its Senior Engineering Staff.
Malcolm Huddart

Matt Dovey

Post by Matt Dovey » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:16 am

It isnt a matter of the LAA or the BMAA trusting their inspectors. It's what the CAA allow the LAA or BMAA do under their approvals and the CAA feel comfortable letting either organisation do. You have to remember that a lot of LAA and BMAA inspectors are amateurs. While your licensed aircraft engineer has sat multiple exams, which include aviation law and had to meet a minimum experience requirements to be able to hold a basic license. Once they have a license they either need a type rating or a group rating before they can certify. That doesn't mean they can renew a permit or sign an ARC. The BGA requires you to be a "Chief Engineer" before you can sign an ARC. Not an inspector.
I really don't see what your problem is. I have used the current permit renewal process and haven't found any problems. Read the TL properly, fill in the forms correctly and don't leave your permit renewal inspection to the last minuet.
If you have a problem with the process I would firstly take it up with the LAA. Then I suggest talking to the CAA.