New Fabric Aircraft Covering

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Simon Ring

Post by Simon Ring » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:14 pm

Paul,

How does this fabric compare to the likes of ceconite 101,103, dacron etc. Is there any special application process different from the norm with dope etc.

Reason for asking is I cannot access the link due to PC problems.

Simon

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:43 pm

There was a sub-115kg aircraft on the Escapade stand at SPLASH last weekend, covered with the fabric. It's about 1/2 the finished weight of Stits (no need to paint or dope etc), and twice the price for the fabric, so handy if you can't spray paint in your workshop. Said to be excellent at resisting UV light. It looked OK.

Obviously in the Kid Escapade the lightness takes priority, but I imagine against a professional paint job, it might work out no more expenseive than using the traditional stuff.

I suggest you ask the Escapade people at Old Sarum for info and their opinion on it.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:37 am

Hi Paul. Francis has the samples you gave me at Splash and is enthusiastic about the product. Personally I thought the standard of finished fabric on both the Kid and the tail surfaces of the Sherwood Ranger was very good. It's a very traditional 'silk' finish, so may not suit those who want a wet gloss look. It will be interesting to see how the painted fabric looks, though from what you said at the show that too will be a silk look rather than a gloss.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:44 am

Model aircraft builders should be at home with this. It sounds like Balsaloc and Solartex :D

Is the finish opaque and available in different colours like the model products?

Before anyone says this isn't just an upscaling of model products, I know :roll:

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:10 pm

I think a silk finish is good. It would "hide" minor imperfections which tend to stick out like a sore thumb on high gloss finishes.

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:12 pm

Looks as though Oratex might suit my project and I'll bear it in mind when the time comes for covering.
The non-gloss finish would be more suitable, anyway, for my aircraft. The instructions don't have a lot to say about wood airframes and the method shown for covering (tailplane) flying surfaces shows a 630 degree wrap around for the leading edges, which would be rather awkward. Maybe this would not be needed for a wooden airframe?
It would be interesting to know roughly how the finished cost of using Oratex compares with using conventional materials/techniques.
The weight savings alone would be very attractive!

Frank Parker

Post by Frank Parker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:06 am

I am intrigued by the need to have a 630 degree wrap aroung the LE. How would one do this on a structure that has ribs?

Frank Parker

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:01 pm

Shurely you don't mean 360 deg max ??