Sindlinger Hurricane Replica

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Domo1977

Sindlinger Hurricane Replica

Post by Domo1977 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:50 pm

Hi all, first off I'm a regular lurker, but a very infrequent poster on these forums if you're wondering why you've not seen my name before!

Anyway I was wondering if anybody knew if anybody in the UK has or is building a Sindlinger Hurricane? apparently there were quite a few sets of plans sold into the UK.

I see it's listed as abandoned on the LAA approved types list, what does that mean?

Any info on this illusive type would be greatfully recieved, as I would like to build one some day.

Cheers
Dom

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:58 pm

Abandoned usually means that none of the projects were completed such that they were cleared to fly and none are known to be still progressing to completion.

There is one listed that might be under active build in the Lincoln area.

Once the first of type has successfully completed its test programme and granted if full Permit to Fly then the aircraft becomes an approved type.

There have been perhaps 4 or 5 projects in the UK of which Brian Winstanley's? went to Australia if I remember correctly.
Stuart Macconnacher

Will Greenwood

Hurricane Replica

Post by Will Greenwood » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:26 am

Hi Dom, you could always have a look at this replica Hurricane, very similar to the T-51 http://www.squadronleader.it/ They have done a lot of structural testing and have plans to produce a kit, the guys name is Paolo Marletta.

Will.

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:36 am

The Winstanley Hurricane did go with him to Australia and I remember seeing an article of it flying over there. Some friends of mine have one in Canada which they seem to like.

Domo1977

Post by Domo1977 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi all
Thanks for the info so far, I've seen the Italian one - looks like a good aircraft!

I'm so suprised that given the historic provenance of the Hurricane and the fact that Fred Sindlinger drew up the plans in the '70s there are still so few flying worldwide and none in this country!

Hypothetically speaking, if I was able to get hold of a set of plans for a Sindlinger, would it be possible to build one and get one flying under the LAA? especially as the designer apparently is now no longer supporting the design?

Merry christmas to all!!!

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi Dom, another source is this web site, scroll down to replicas, you may find a set of plans there, or login and ask if anyone has any, if you get stuck, PM me and I'll ask for you !
http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/

Will.

Alan George

Post by Alan George » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:47 pm

Dom, I have been sorting through some 'Popular Flying' magazine back issues and found an active Sindlinger Hurricane report in Project News from March 2008. The builder was Earle Shouler and the project number 026-14760. Hope this helps, Alan.