VW oil

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

bertdeleporte

Post by bertdeleporte » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:52 pm

Hello Jim,

I would also go for a multigrade 20W50. It is cheap, easy to find, designed for auto engines. I do not recommand synthetic oils on old engines, not for the absolutely fabulous qualities of such oils, but, as said by another contributor, for compatibility with components. The synthetic oil MAY damage the following parts: o-rings, lip seals, rubber gasket and menbranes, ball and roller bearing synthetic cages.
I would simply not like to be the first to take the chance. You can go on some VW forums and ask, you will certainly find people who already tested synthetic oils, and will be able to tell you.
Anyway, one of the main advantage of synthetic oil is the very good capacity to work at hot temps for long periods, which aviators don't like at all, whatever the oil lubricating the engine...
There are no good pilots, only old ones, and old people are conservative...

Bertrand

Richard Boyton

VW engine oils

Post by Richard Boyton » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:24 pm

Agree 30 SAE is great for running in/bedding down but we as an organisation should somehow, somewhere to have some definite info on this and not try to re-invent the wheel individually

The world has moved on from Castrol GTX, and do we need "proper" full flow oil filters?.

Yes I've run cars with wire gauze filters but never have I achieved the sort of usage that I now grown accustom to with long polymer chain oil and full flow oil filters

Yes a VW engine course plse Brian (Hope)

Richard