Propellers for VW engines

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Phil Burgess

Propellers for VW engines

Post by Phil Burgess » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:49 pm

I've had a look through the approved props list for Taylor Monoplanes fitted with VW engines. Does anyone have contact details for any of these manufacturers? I've already spoken with Chris Lodge but he is no-longer making props and my inspector would rather I didn't use a ken Fern prop. This seems to leave few options - perhapse someone might have a Lodge prop going spare (54" x 34" ideally)?

I'm going to the USA next week so could pick one up there if they exist on the shelf. Again does anyone have any contacts for approved props from the USA? :?:

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:53 pm

Hi Phil,

I went through similar grief last year. my KR2 had a 3 blade Ken Fern, and as you are probably aware he has packed up.

My prop was in need of some TLC, it vibrated, and I considered it to be slightly undersized, I asked Chris Lodge if he would mind refurbishing it, and got an emphatic NO. Chris has also packed up, so I faffed around for some weeks before I came across Alan Newton.

He was featured in the mag about last July. His main business sems to be making props for target drones.

I am very pleased with the prop he delivered, it is of beech rather than the rather softer mahogony used by Chris/Ken.

Alan is on 01597 824420

ps don't forget that a different prop will require a mod request ( I did )
Peter Diffey

PB

Post by PB » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:38 pm

Pete

I have a 54"x34" Fern prop here somewhere but I'm not going to give it to you (or even sell it to you). Your inspector is right - it's not the world's greatest prop (I am being polite).

I changed the one on my Nipper to a second-hand Chris Lodge 56"x36". I now go faster at lower revs and climb better all the while using less fuel. The only down-side is slightly reduced field performance.

The Lodge prop uses a much thinner blade than the Fern which almost certainly accounts for the difference in performance.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:03 pm

Ed Sturba is the man for VW props in the states, KR pilots swear by his props, but delivery is likely to be 4-8 weeks.

When I was looking around I contacted Ed ( hard work he's not internet connected even though he has a web site ). The price last year was $395.
Peter Diffey

PB

Post by PB » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:11 pm

If buying from the States remember to check for 4" or 100mm PCD for mounting bolts.

jamie_duff

Post by jamie_duff » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:19 am

I have a Sterba 52 x 48 prop for my VW, but I haven't flown with it yet obviously :lol: The engine and prop came from another KR2 though. It's certainly very nicely made, and has a resin leading edge on the blades :)

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:48 am

Chris Lodges props were beautifully made, but the nicest UK ones I think were Roy Wattling Greenwoods (RWG). I have one on my T31 that I used previously on a VP2 where it replaced a CL. It's a 60x29 compared to the CL 57x32. On the VP it improved climb a lot, but cruise speed was equal. I know other factors plus pitch/diameter make a difference, but the RWG is much lighter and beautifully made.

Niether are made anymore, so this post is pointless ... but I thought I'd let you know anyway :twisted:

Ivan
________
marijuana card
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:41 pm

I believe that the RWG patterns are now owned by Richard Yates, so there could be a possiblity to have one made in the future...

Frank Parker

Post by Frank Parker » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:23 pm

Roy Watling Greenwood was (is?) a superb craftsman! His Turbulent was a work of art. If the present owner of the patterns makes props as well as Roy, then you will very happy.

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:21 am

If the present owner of the patterns makes props as well as Roy, then you will very happy.
I sent him my RWG prop a few years ago to repair after flying through heavy rain. He condemned it and made a new one that was .... errr, shall we say I wasn't happy with it. I got in touch with Roy, who kindly took my old prop, repaired it (to as good as new!) and told me to send the "new" one back and ask for a refund. The new fella's work may have improved, but I won't be going back to him.

Ivan
________
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:59 pm

Roy made a prop for my Taylorcraft in 1994. It's still on there and has one tiny stonechip in it after all this time. It actually 'did the impossible' improving takeoff, cruise and fuel consumption; marvellous!

I've just bought a D9 which to my delight is fitted with an RWG prop, never actually flown yet, despite having been on there for quite a few years; I feel very lucky. I suppose they come up for sale from time to time?

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:16 pm

Ah.....Have you just purchased G-BURE ??

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:26 am

Yes I have!

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:02 pm

I had my eye on it for a while. . . . . i remember it being built. . . .very well might i add!!
It deserves a loving home. I bought the Turb insted and yes i had my eye on your prop, im hoping to change mine.
Dont panic, im getting a new one made. Good luck with the D9, be great to see it flying at last!
May see you around at Headcorn.

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:37 pm

The engine in G-BURE is supposed to be a 1200 but the prop is a 59x31 which according to francis is for a 1600/1835. I'm slightly concerned that it's a trifle long with the tail up - any comments? (Oh, I'm not intending to use the 1200!).