Propellers for VW engines

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:11 pm

Yes that prop does appear to look rather big. It may have just been fitted with a random prop when finished. The builder was'nt a pilot so would not have intended to fly the aircraft himself!!
You would have to see whats approved for the D9 but id guess you would need something like a 54"x33" etc. It may be worth getting in touch with another D9 owner.

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:09 am

Well, it's the least of my problems at the moment. I have to get the a/c back to my workshop - ANYONE KNOW OF A SUITABLE TRAILER for loan or hire? Then a full inspection, it's been languishing for a very long time, although it looks pretty good and it's been kept in the dry.

I'm actually hoping that there won't be too much remedial stuff to do, but not all stage inspections have been signed and the engine wont be any good. Also an inspection in 2002 showed that the U/C legs were made from undersized material and there is no material paperwork to cover the U/C fabrication.

Hopefully it will be OK and apart from a good hoovering (!) and a new motor, all will be fine.

I can't help a child like excitement at the prospect of flying it!

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:17 am

If the engine is no good, I've noticed there's a 1600 VW that's just been listed on ebay with a starting price of ?250. Might be worth watching? Nowt to do with me BTW so I'm not advertising.

Ivan
________
Central R&D Labs., Inc.
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:15 pm

Yes, found it. Francis D reckons there's no need for anything bigger than a 1600 on a D9, but others who fly them think different..... (hot and heavy, short strip etc..)

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:14 pm

How far have you got to take it Nigel?

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:00 pm

Just north of Milton Keynes, it's about 120 miles from Headcorn, m25, m1 yeuch!

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:54 am

Won't it just go in a 7.5ton truck!? :D (Which you can drive on your regular licence.)

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:15 pm

A friend of my son has a 40' lorry. He will do it for the fuel cost alone (no inconsiderable....) in early April. But if it's possible to do it earlier then I would.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:33 pm

Nigel,
If you were nearer to me, you could borrow mine - it's 22ft long and can be towed by car. A 40ft lorry would be a bit pricey to take on at 6 to 8 miles per gallon !

Bill.

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:47 pm

Milton Keynes, Caithness, Headcorn, Milton Keynes, Caithness, Milton Keynes......... mmm! Oh well. Nice thought anyway.

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:34 am

I welded up a trailer for £112 using all new pieces, with the exception of a set of Healey wheels and tyres. Took my FRED 130 miles each way on its' first journey.

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j279/ ... trail3.jpg
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j279/ ... trail2.jpg

It folds down completely in an hour for storage. The aircraft wheels run up ramps and sit almost on the main axle of the trailer whilst the tailskid bolts onto a sleeve (not in picture) that wraps round the main drawbar and allows the fuselage to be winched up the ramps by simply winching the drawbar sleeve along. Since the wieght is all by the mainwheels and a little on the skid, it doesn't need to be massively sturdy or rigid.

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:25 pm

The problem with the Jodel is the one-piece wing, just under 24' long. The fuselage lifts off the wing and the u/c legs are permanently fixed to the the wing/spar. Not designed for moveing other than by air!

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:46 am

Had forgotten Jodel wings were one piece! How about going to your nearest gliding club and trying to borrow a trailer there? You could probably fit the wing in a older-style glider trailer. Not sure whether the fuselage would go in as well...

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:06 am

Already thought of that one! The problem there is that the majority of glider trailers house a glider, generally pretty valuable, so the owners aren't keen to leave it lying on the ground for a couple of days (understandably). There must be exceptions and I might come across one.

I have been offered a particularly manky open glider trailer for £50. It needs new tyres and the brakes overhauled. There's also the small matter of what to do with it when not in use, it's really only going to be needed on a couple of occasions.

It's also 'another' project, no doubt requiring welding etc. I could get it I suppose but I prefer a 'clean' approach!

A thought though; it could be a good 'group' trailer for the BB strut members for example, if someone had space to store it Cost of complete refurbishment probably won't amount to much more than the purchase price, say £150 total, divide that by however many and it's a useful facility???

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:16 am

Boat trailer rental? Lots of longer trailers on Ebay. Might be a boat company around who could rent you one?