Sealing gasket for fuel filler pipe through curved deck ply

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Richard Mole

Sealing gasket for fuel filler pipe through curved deck ply

Post by Richard Mole » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:59 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm after a good way of sealing around the fuel tank filler where it emerges through the front decking, mid-way between the firewall and the canopy.

There has to be some clearance when the tank is first installed (and it's preferable to allow for removal and re-installation in case of a problem with the tank) and in any case it's not that easy to get a perfect fit. So how do you prevent surplus fuel finding its way down the cracks between the deck and the outside of the filler tube?

What have you seen that really works? Are there Viton gaskets available, for example that would work on curved surfaces? I guess that sealing around the filler on a curved wing surface is just as difficult. Am I missing an obvious solution?

On G-TREK, the filler tube emerges from the fuselage side skin (as the tank is behind the seat) and I just crammed in some very old and putty-like zinc chromate which, to my surprise, has held up for many years, possibly because it has some tough polyurthane paint on top of a tight fabric layer. But there must be a better way! Helpul pointers would be much appreciated.

Richard
Richard

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:41 pm

I'm trying to come up with a solution to a very similar problem with a group owned Aeronca and would also be interested in any solutions offered.
On my Boredom Fighter project, there is a ring shaped scupper welded to the tank and surrounding the filler neck, with a drain pipe leading overboard. This is not an answer for the Aeronca. There is an expensive moulded rubber part available in the States, but the tank filler neck is not centrally located in the hole in the decking, so it wouldn't fit very well, anyway.
I had thought of making a slightly conical disc of thin aluminium with an inner disc of 1/8"(say) rubber sheet sandwiched underneath and forming a tight push fit over the filler neck. The outer aluminium could then be pop riveted in three or four places to the coming/fuselage decking.
Any better ideas gratefully received!
Ian

Nick Bentley

Post by Nick Bentley » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:00 am

Next time you see an MG Midget or MGB, look at the moulded rubber ring that goes between the fuel filler neck and rear panel. Would you be able to adapt one of those to fit? You can still get them new; I might even have an old one in the garage somewhere.

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:04 am

Nick, that may be a good lead. Would that sealing ring fit an 1.75" od filler outlet? If it does I woul dbe very interested - and would particularly like to know what it weighs!

Many thanks, Richard
Richard

Mike Mold

Post by Mike Mold » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:10 pm

Richard, I've used black RTV on my D112 but I'm interested in the rubber seal. Sussex Classic Car Parts has them, with a photo on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FUEL-FILLER-NECK- ... otohosting
Mike Mold
Jodel D112 G-BHNL
Watchford Farm, Devon
www.devonstrut.co.uk

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:08 pm

:D Mike, brilliant thanks! I just bought one as at £3.80 its well worth the punt. Richard
Richard

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:58 pm

yerwha?
Richard

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:48 am

I used the MG car rubber seal on my Vagabond fuel tank filler and it worked a treat. Tony

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:33 pm

Tony, many thanks that's good to know. So far I have bought three seals for Mini, midget, etc as they are cheap enough - let's hope one of them will be just the ticket. Richard
Richard