D130 Turb Parts

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Jonathan Wilkins

D130 Turb Parts

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:10 pm

Having recently bought my Turb im keen to personalise the aircraft to my requirements. Unfortunately my aircraft is fitted with non-standard smaller wheels and tyres which are not practical for its new home. Does anybody have any idea where i can source a pair of standard turbulent wheels with breaks.
I am also trying to source a spinner for it, something smallish like that fitted to Eurostar or Technam etc that isnt going to cost the earth.
Any Ideas Please??? [email protected]

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:28 pm

I think they are Vespa wheels
Stuart Macconnacher

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:35 pm

Ok il see if i can find a website and have a look, the problem may be that Vespa wheels dont have the break drums built in to the wheels. The first Rollason Turbs were not fitted with breaks so they probably did use Vespa Wheels. Il have a look and see. Thanks.

Mike Mold

Post by Mike Mold » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:32 pm

Jonathan, My Jodel D9 had Lambretta wheels & brakes. See http://www.innocentis.co.uk/store/pdf/innocentis_9.pdf for an exploded diagram. From their website it looks like Innocentis went bust last year but a Google search will throw up several sources of wheel & brakes options. e.g. http://www.resurrection-scooters.co.uk/ ... wse_46.htm
Mike Mold
Jodel D112 G-BHNL
Watchford Farm, Devon
www.devonstrut.co.uk

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:18 pm

I've got some Lambretta wheels, race grade tyres/tubes and drum brakes here. I changed to Azusa alloy wheels with the same radius but half the weight.

Any good?

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:33 pm

Thanks Mike and Rob, Id have to have a look at your wheels Rob, like you pointed out they may add too much weight.....and as you may be aware most Turbs are near the limit at the best of times! However your alternative choice may well be worth a look, do you have any details of Azusa wheels?

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:42 am

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:02 am

Yup! I've got 8 inch wheels. Saved 23lbs weight over the original Lambretta set-up!!!!!!!!! The bearings supplied were cr4p so I got some sealed ones from a motorbike plus the spindles that matched. Much better quality spindle since it came from a bike weighing the same as a FRED (almost!) and designed for 150mph. Better than a 3/4 dia grade-'5' bolt. You need a spacer to go between the drum and the brake backplate. I used the motorbike spindle spacer but a lighter option ought to be easily latheable.

Azusa wheels...
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j279/ ... ighing.jpg

Lambretta wheels....
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j279/ ... nclose.jpg

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:00 pm

Thanks Mark, useful link. Your FRED looks great Rob, you would hardly notice the difference to look at them, but as you say, the weight makes a huge amount of difference. Il have a closer look at Azusa wheels. Thanks for advice Rob, il keep you posted.