spruce supplies? for main spares

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Neil lawrence

spruce supplies? for main spares

Post by Neil lawrence » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:25 pm

Well I might have bitten off more than I can chew, but I have these issacs spitfire plans that i've had for over 7 years and i'm now looking at how what and where to get the spruce from in the UK. and is aircraft spruce certified or not as in the US?

Yes colin he did use bulk wood to build the prototype. there was something wrong with its first landing, tyre pressure I think.
spent my time as a kid at Thruxton in the 70s
Last edited by Neil lawrence on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:25 am

Contact Dudley Pattison he supplies Spruce. See Project News in March Light Aviation for his email address.
Stuart Macconnacher

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:03 am

Spruce supplies do go through periods of famine, particularly for spar quality lengths. Duds gives an excellent service and I would not hesitate to recommend him. 01793 791517. He can also supply aircraft quality plywoods.
It is possible to select Spruce and approved alternatives from general timber suppliers, but you really have to know what you are looking for. Density, moisture content, straightness of grain and grain count etc. There are laid down specs the wood has to meet. Very very few people go this route, I know of only one in fact who found suitable material and built an aircraft with it.

Richard Boyton

Post by Richard Boyton » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Or Stu Hoy at Anglia Sailplanes, seen some lovely bulks of spuce there very recently

Tel no 07860 545 812 or [email protected]

Mention my name otherwise he may deny he's got it. He's got ply, glue etc as well

Richard

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:13 am

Didn't John Isaacs himself buy a baulk of wood and build an aircraft from it? His book makes a good read if you don't have it already.

There was an interesting article in Popular Flying by Roger Partington who describes his search in timber yards for the wood for his Menestrele. Perhaps that is who Brian is referring to?

For supplies I would echo Brian's suggestion of speaking to Dudley. You could also try Peter Johnson at Eastern Sailplanes who has some good spar material available. David Almey at Skycraft is currently offering rough sawn boards too. Hodge Air Services at Thruxton can also supply the wood and paperwork. Wesley Massam may respond to this, he helped me with some spruce for my project. He is currently building a Jodel at a prodigious rate, but in the day makes boat masts and spars so know a lot about wood. Samples of the wood he supplied were examined and tested by an engineer licenced by the CAA to 'release' timber.

You mentioned certification. You will find that the relevant British Standard is BS 2V 37. This describes the physical characteristics and properties of 'aircraft grade' spruce and a search around the LAA web site will confirm that that this is the expected standard.

Having in my youth spent a lot of time in a materials lab stretching steel and crushing concrete I like to torture material, so I built a drop test machine http://www.laaeastmidlands.org/strut_ga ... 02&pos=-42 and I have quickly come to the conclusion that there is more to finding the best material than is described in the BS. Wood that appears to meet the standard failed when subjected to physical testing when physically similar samples have passed.

If I can help with documents or testing contacts please get in touch.

regards

Colin
Colin Cheese