Share the Air, Sense all others, be seen by all others.

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

[email protected]

Share the Air, Sense all others, be seen by all others.

Post by [email protected] » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:58 am

Good Morning
As promised, I have opened a topic on the article "Taking stock of EC" in the Feb 20 LA mag.
Unfortunately, it was the subject of a bit of "political correction" editing and during that one of its key points was overlooked. For completeness this is the paragraph that inadvertently got altered. It appears just to the right of the picture of Rosetta.
"The CAA’s strategy is clear. Sense “all others”, not just “some others”, be seen by “all others” not just “a few others”. In my original article (Dec 17) I stated that I would like a 90% probability of “sensing” an aircraft (with an EC beacon) within 1 minute’s range of my own aircraft (a normal engineering way of specifying this sort of thing). I don’t know whether that was realistic or good enough for “sharing the skies” but it was a start point. 2 years on I have little confidence that any of the technologies will get anywhere close to this aspiration let alone meet the CAA’s “seen by all” objective (which needs a quantised performance target too). For such a system to be of any use to their airspace modernisation visions, it must work effectively and reliably in all aircraft from airliners to drones.
The bit about LAA policy then follows...

Ian Fraser
Ian Fraser

John Dean

Re: Share the Air, Sense all others, be seen by all others.

Post by John Dean » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:10 pm

With so many different EC systems perhaps keeping your eyes scanning the sky and not looking at a screen is the best way to go.