EC Where are we now - LAA mag Nov 2021

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

RussP

EC Where are we now - LAA mag Nov 2021

Post by RussP » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:48 pm

Interesting article in the Nov Mag .. some points I'd take issue with and also interested to follow the discussion on traffic displays - I have them on skydemon and on my EFIS map and synthetic vision displays.

Firstly the article on connectivity, The skydemon challenge.. and the suggestion that skydemon is currently segregated completely from the aircraft electronic systems ..my aircraft which was permmited/approved 3 yrs ago already has skydemon -> avionics interface. I do all my planning at home on the PC/Ipad .. take the ipad flying .. first job after start up is to connect the ipad to the Dynon EFIS via wifi and push the flightplan into the skyview HDX which then uses it to control the two axis autopilot - then I swap the ipad to connect to the fixed install of pilot aware to accept traffic info. By doing this skydemon (in my setup) is using the SIL 1 GPS data feed from my Dynon Skyview system which I feed into pilotaware. So skydemon ALREADY has the interface to the onboard electronics - at least if you choose the right onboard electronics.

I also feed the traffic info from pilotaware into the EFIS via a serial feed so it shows up on the map and on the synthetic vision display.

If you want to see a fully integrated onboard electronics system I'd be happy to show you - I'm based at Finmere but happy to fly to show you.
Russell Pinder

Chris Lunt

Re: EC Where are we now - LAA mag Nov 2021

Post by Chris Lunt » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:06 am

Hi Russell,

That's exactly what I have seen in other ac.....

As I'm currently putting the Dynon shopping list together, I'd love to see more details of the iPad and Skydemon wi-fi integration.

Definitely scope for a decent article on the subject..!

Rgds, Chris

RussP

Post by RussP » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:27 pm

Chris - I'd offer to write one but it'd be pretty short - basically buy a wifi module for the skyview and then it just works if your ipad is connected to the skyview wifi.. you can send flightplans from ipad to Dynon and GPS data info (but not traffic) from Dynon to ipad.. Getting the pilotaware integrated is a bit more complicated and involves two serial connection wires from the dynon to the pilot aware.
Russell Pinder

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:56 pm

Hi

Sorry for the delay in comment. The point I was making in the article was about the way ahead for products like sky demon. You say that its connected by down loading to your Dynon, but that is my point. The only reason you need 2 navigators is because you cant connect SD directly to your AP, or radio etc. With a simple interface you could bypass the Dynon, or Garmin etc. While you obviously dont need to because you have the Dynon it is a development opportunity for SD for customers who haven't got one. The theme of the article was interconnectivity and what was at the Rally. If SD dont adopt such a approach their scope for innovation may have stalled.

Ian Fraser
Ian Fraser