Electronic Conspicuity. LA article Dec 21

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

frasersi@btinternet.com

Electronic Conspicuity. LA article Dec 21

Post by frasersi@btinternet.com » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:09 pm

As promised I am opening a thread on my article on EC in and its displays in the Dec LA mag. The LAA managed to change my name to Neil, but I haven't, I am still Ian Fraser. May I kick it off by asking for view on the question I asked in the caption to pic 10. What would you do if faced with a catch up conflict identified by your EC display and the guy behind (and maybe slightly above) didn't appear to have seen you?

Ian Fraser.
Ian Fraser

Doober2004

Re: Electronic Conspicuity. LA article Dec 21

Post by Doober2004 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:48 am

EC: No blind spots. .....this section implies that where EC systems are compatible "there are no blind spots" but this overlooks receiver blanking. In my experience with PAWS and Skyecho there are significant blind spots which need to be considered. Even though EC has many shortfalls, it's well worth having as an extra pair of eyes. Regarding your question about 6 o'clock approaching traffic, assuming I had observed him/her approaching without altering course or altitude, my instinct would have been to turn left.
Anthony Oliver

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:48 pm

Despite your natural urges International Air Law thinks you may either not have a PPL or have simply forgotten what you learnt.
Pity for the opposing a/c pilot too !

"3.2.2.2 Approaching head-on. When two aircraft are approaching head-on or approximately so and there is danger of collision, each shall alter its heading to the right."

Seagull

Post by Seagull » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:46 pm

But the situation described is not head-on - which is what makes it problematic. The rules for avoiding collisions were written on the assumption that the two aircraft could see each other, with eyes. EC changes the situation because now we can "see" something creeping up on us from behind. My reading of the rules is that strictly we should do nothing - but my instinct would be to turn left, too.
Ruth Kelly

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:33 pm

Quite true.
Perhaps a vigorous wing waggle to catch overtaker's MkI eye ball and dive to get below ?