Applying Fabric to Steel Framework.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Bill McCarthy

Applying Fabric to Steel Framework.

Post by Bill McCarthy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:17 pm

I have just lashed out on new tail covers for my Sluka which I am not at all happy with. They are taughtened by lace cords but don't seem to fit like the originals. Some time in the future I would like to think that I could recover with, say, Polyfibre and dope, and minimal spray paint. I had considered "Oratex" (although very expensive, would have been the cheaper option to new covers) , but are there any special techniques to applying fabric to steel framed structures.

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:15 pm

Bill, Diatex is applied by 'priming' the steel (painted when I did the LAA Course, but as long as it's de-greased correctly I guess it's fine) with dope. This is re-activated with thinners which very efficiently bonds the fabric to the frame. You need to ensure 270 degree wrap for decent strength I seem to remember. It's a surprisingly easy procedure 8), polyfibre is a similar process I think.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:22 pm

Hi Bill, Aircraft Coverings (Poly Fiber) will be at the LAA Sywell Rally with their covering tuition/have a go marquee. If you can make it then you can have a go before committing yourself to any particular system.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:15 am

I'm going to Sywell even if I have to hitch hike. I will take special interest this time in the fabric section. Thanks.

gasax

Post by gasax » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:36 am

Applying the fabric to a steel (or any other material) structure is actually much more straight forward than it appears. Once you've 'done' the first surface your confidence grows very quickly.

The application is pretty similar for most of the systems - my preference is PolyFiber because it is more tolerant of dope runs etc.

I would hazard a guess though that this is a modification which engineering will have to approve. Should n't be too big a deal but it is a fairly fundemental change. The only obvious issues would be where there is insufficient material to wrap and glue fabric where the original envelope possible used lacings.
Pete Morris

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:38 am

If I can get approval - which I think is a standard mod anyway, I think I'll have a crack at it at the back end of the year after I've taken in Sywell. It would be a much more satisfying task than struggling with nylon laces. You never know, it might lead to a build !!

Gary Carr

polyfibre

Post by Gary Carr » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:43 am

Bill,
Send for the polyfibre kit...there is no dope in this kit?... polyfibre use polytack to stick the polyfibre to the airframe as i understand it! or if i am wrong then please somebody explain...i dont think you use Dope on polyfibre material!....

gary
Updated
1st aircraft... TST Thruster MK1
Second aircraft... challenger II
Third aircraft .......Gyrocopter 2 place....... And i am still on the ground!...
LAA.PRA.BRA...