Do you fly a permit vintage factory built to the continent?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:30 am

I would have thought that most jodels ( especially 112 varients) would have been rebuilt by now (and cubs as well) by their owners.
As this would have precluded them from being operated on a C of A prior to EASA, I don't see how they can still be classed as factory built.
Given that the French have widely expressed their intention, the fact that it is the premier event in northern France, it is a Jodel fly in ,I don't think you will have too much to worry about.
I've been to St. Omer every year and wouldn't let this spoil my record!
John Cook

pillpoppinpilot

Post by pillpoppinpilot » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:30 am

I don't think it matters that they've been rebuilt several times. If you've got built by SAN (or whatever) in the log book then it's an ex factory built.

I don't think the French will care one jot what your plane is (homebuilt or factory built) however if you go over without permission you've just given your insurance company an excuse to wriggle out of any claim. I can't afford that sort of loss!

Now if St Omer could get an all encompassing temporary pass I'm sure lots of us would invade and scoff all the moules frites!!!

Tony Smith

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:23 pm

I fear this WILL impact UK arrivals at St Omer this year. I know of two regulars at our strut that have said they won't pay the 50 Euros to DGAC to go. As you know everyone there John it might be worth letting them know UK numbers will be down unless the exemption is sorted. To be fair to the French, by charging they are only doing the same as CAA. Can't say I blame them.

Steve

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:58 pm

I'm going over on Friday ,I'll see if anything can be done.
John Cook

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:46 pm

I have written to the French authorities asking for a blanket exemption for St.Omer.
Don't know if it will do any good, have had receipt acknowledged, lets see what happens.
John Cook

pillpoppinpilot

Post by pillpoppinpilot » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:29 pm

I hope it works JC as I'd much rather travel in a Jodel than a comfortable, quiet, fast, gas guzzling Arrow!

Either way I'll be there. It would be a great shame if the numbers didn't reflect the effort that St Omer aeroclub put into it.

Tony

Mike Potts

Post by Mike Potts » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:25 pm

Anyone know if there has been any progress with this?
Thanks

Graham Clark

Factory-built Annex II in France

Post by Graham Clark » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:29 pm

This has not yet been resolved, but I know the LAA is actively say again actively pursuing this with the CAA and DGAC.

John Brady

Post by John Brady » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:15 pm

Mike,

Currently there is a Ministerial Decree in respect of Amateur Build PtF aircraft though that only applies to those carrying a LAA Certificate of Validity and of course some permits come direct from CAA and the decree does not apply to them. This comes about because DGAC want some control on type and the LAA provides that, so non LAA CofV require individual permission.

As far as ex factory build PtF are concerned there never was a derogation/Ministerial Decree - and the “understanding” did not exist. We have been pursuing this but it is complicated by the French Airworthiness system and their desire to ensure equity for their citizens in not allowing privileges to visitors that a French Citizen would not have. The LAA is working to establish a similar ministerial Decree as for Amateur Build aircraft - the next meeting is at the end of January and will be a joint DGAC/CAA/LAA one. However the issue of which aircraft will be allowed becomes more complex for the reasons above but it is likely the “holding a LAA Cert of Validity” will work out OK.

The other issue is that it takes the French legal system a year or so to establish a “Ministerial Decree”, but we are hoping in the meantime to get an interim general derogation. For specific events the organiser (in France) can apply for an event general exemption which the DGAC are able to issue at their discretion though people do need to read it carefully as sometimes it is not a “general” as one might think especially for Ex-factory PtF.

Hope that helps, John

Mike Potts

Post by Mike Potts » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:19 pm

John
Thanks for the update.