First Time Buyer

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Tim Couston

First Time Buyer

Post by Tim Couston » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Hello LAA members and Guests, can you help please. I have flown all my professional life on military fast jets and now commercial big jets. However, I really miss stick and rudder flying and it has been my dream for many years to have my own aircraft. To that end I am very keen to buy a microlight/group A aircraft but I know didly squat about them.
This is what I do know. I cant afford a new one.I have a budget of approx 15k. I'm looking for 2 seat side by side with a folding wing that could be kept in a trailer. Ideally, powered by a Rotax 912 UL (but I fear this is being optimistic), if not then a 582 blue top.
What do you suggest I should be looking at? Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:02 am

This might have fulfilled your requirements...
http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adv ... 770&imid=0
Two seat side-by-side: check
Folding wings: check (at least I think so)
Rotax 912: check
£16,000: almost check

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:53 am

Another type that fits the bill is the Rans S6 Coyote. plenty built in the UK over the years (about 200) so usually a few for sale. Folding wing limits your choices, there are plenty of good classic/vintage types in the £15K bracket otherwise.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:05 am

Come to the LAA rally next month and you will be spoilt for choice !

johnmichie

Post by johnmichie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:57 pm

Tim
as, in your words, you know diddly squat about GA aircraft,you might consider a group share as your first venture. After some initial training (groups will probably insist on some experience) you will be able to gain experience flying with other members. The range of aircraft available to you will also increase.
The first rule of buying or building an aircraft is to define the mission. You may find that bimbling along in a rag and tube microlight isn't quite enough and that you want something faster.
Come to the Rally at Sywell in September, look at all the options, talk to owners, and cadge some rides for the cost of the fuel.
You've started on a splendid path. Keep at it and good luck.

John Michie

Tim Couston

Post by Tim Couston » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:40 pm

Nick, Brian, Bill & John.

Thank you very much for your comments they are all very helpful. I live in rural Devon where shares in aircraft are very thin on the ground. I can get a share in a C42 at Dunkeswell but that is about 50 mins away for me and having flown it, I dont like it. Some of the best air time I ever had was as an air cadet in the 70s and 80s (remember!) flying the kirby cadet and Sedburgh and so the idea of a non rigid skin aircraft I find quite appealing. I am looking to store in a trailer to avoid hangarage and UV damage and I have the space at home. Plus, I love aeroplanes, always have since I was a child and the thought of having my aircraft on my premises that I can tinker with at leisure puts a smile on my face. Hence thats the plan i'm workingwith and I intend to research as much as I can over the next few months so I dont jump in blind and uninformed. To that end I am sure that I will really value the information generously provided through these forums.

The LAA engineering team are being very helpful, and patient, as I explore the regulations behind servicing and certification.

Anyway, I believe that there is a website where you can find certification details of specific aircraft ie specific tail numbers to confirm certified weights and useful load etc. Can anyone point me in this direction?
Also, I believe you can find out who last did the Permit to Fly inspection so again can someone point me in the right direction for that please.

On your advice, I'm going to the LAA rally on the Sunday so if you see a 6' 1" mid fourties, greying gent strolling around purposefuly then say hello Tim.

Kind regards

Tim

johnmichie

Post by johnmichie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:37 pm

Tim

google G-INFO to get the CAA website of all UK registrations. It won't answer all your questions but it will give present and past owners, year built, max weight, engine, hours flown, and date of last permit. You can input the type and get all of them or just the reg.

John

johnmichie

Post by johnmichie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:50 pm

ps

you may have already looked at this. The LAA website Engineering page lists approved hombuilts and vintage types. Select the aircraft you are interested in as many have links to manufacturers websites and other useful data.

John

Tim Couston

Post by Tim Couston » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks John, thats the one. The search seems to be narrowing towards a Rans S6 Coyote II. Does anyone have experience of this aircraft?

Also, can anyone give me an idea of running and servicing costs for a Rotax 582 Blue top (what is the significance of blue top?) and Rotax 912 UL.

Regards

Tim

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi Tim, the 582, 2 stroke engine blue top is an improved version to help with the warming up period of the engine, in laymans terms, the Rotax 912 is a four stroke engine, both are water cooled. The 2 stroke will drink more fuel and be cheaper to purchase, the 912 will drink less and I would say it is more realible, which in general 4 strokes are. This is a very broad brush, but may give you a bit more insight.

Will Greenwood LAA/PCS

Jim Alex

Post by Jim Alex » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:01 pm

8) There is a Jodel 112 (65hp, 14ltr/hr) on afors website for about £9000. Unbeatable for dependability and ease of maintainance. An ideal first a/c to own. (No, I don't own it!)

Tim Couston

Post by Tim Couston » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi Will

Thanks very much. Do you know the service interval of a Rotax 582 and a 912 and also a rough idea of service costs each time?

Jim, nice Jodel although my heart is set on a wingfold model to avoid hangarage.

Tim

Jim Gale

Post by Jim Gale » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:56 am

I believe there is a Rans S6 for sale at Dunks. PM me for details.
Regards, Jim.

David Millin

Re: First Time Buyer

Post by David Millin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:27 pm

Tim Couston wrote:Hello LAA members and Guests, can you help please. I have flown all my professional life on military fast jets and now commercial big jets. However, I really miss stick and rudder flying and it has been my dream for many years to have my own aircraft. To that end I am very keen to buy a microlight/group A aircraft but I know didly squat about them.
This is what I do know. I cant afford a new one.I have a budget of approx 15k. I'm looking for 2 seat side by side with a folding wing that could be kept in a trailer. Ideally, powered by a Rotax 912 UL (but I fear this is being optimistic), if not then a 582 blue top.
What do you suggest I should be looking at? Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

David Millin

Post by David Millin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:39 pm

Hi Tim,
I have a Rans S6 wing fold together with trailer located at Dunkeswell for sale. - If this is of any interest, or you want advice on the S6, please give me a call on 01803 663012.
Best regards,
David.