LAA Rally 2011 dates confirmed

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Peter Harvey

LAA Rally 2011 dates confirmed

Post by Peter Harvey » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:27 pm

The LAA website has just announced the dates for the LAA Rally 2011 will be September 2nd, 3rd and 4th, following the well received format of this year's event. Venue, once again at Sywell, Northampton.

Planning is already advancing and whilst the format will be similar, we'll improve a few features and anticipate a slightly larger exhibition and homebuilder's area for 2011.

We look forward to meeting friends old and new again at Sywell next year.

Peter Harvey
CEO LAA

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:04 pm

The Aviator Hotel was already booked up when I tried at 1855. Hope there was no "Insider Dealings" here! To be honest, I suppose I would do the same if I was in the know.
Bob Farrell

Malcolm Jefferson

Post by Malcolm Jefferson » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:49 am

Bob F. Send me your phone number by email. I think I can help you out with this one.
Regards

Malcolm.

[email protected]

Gary T

Post by Gary T » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:59 pm

It would be nice if we could avoid clashing with the Blois show in future years. Probably not a concern for the majority I'm sure, but frustrating for many at the lighter end of the LAA spectrum who look forward to making a cross-channel excursion to the biggest microlight show in Europe...
Sadly, I missed the rally this year and after some soul searching have decided that I will have to miss it in 2011 as well; it's been a hard decision to make though, and frankly a choice I could do without - I'd like to do both!
regards

Gary Taylor

merlin

Post by merlin » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Hi Gary, As a member of both LAA and BMAA I can understand your concerns re clashing with Blois however I guess that any date in the prime flying season will clash with other events and am pleased that the September dates balance the many major UK events earlier in the year.
If this clash continues perhaps you could visit alternate years.
Regards Roger
roger breckell

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:12 am

Agree it's a shame that the Rally clashes with Blois as that's one of my favourites too but as suggested, it is likely to clash with events almost any weekend during the season. There are benefits in having it in Sept rather than July, the availability of things like marquees and generators is much easier and hence we can maintain flexibility.
Incidentally, LAA did not block book rooms at the Aviator until the date was finalised, the same day it was mentioned on the website, and then only a relatively small number for key personnel working at the event (the majority of whom will be paying for them). Many others booked on the off chance weeks ago, no doubt happy to risk their deposit if the event was held on a different weekend. I stayed one night in the Overstone Park Hotel about 2 miles up the road this year, perfectly adequate and recommended if you can't get a room at the Aviator.

Bob the Pilot

Post by Bob the Pilot » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:51 pm

....Or of course you could always join the hardy folk of the Andover Strut on the campsite.

Weed free areas reserved upon request...

Warm welcome guarenteed.
Bob Howarth

Chris B
Site Admin

Post by Chris B » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:44 pm

Another date for the diary.

Aero Expo 2011 will be held at Sywell, from 17-19 June.

Aero Expo has previously been held at Booker but, as most of you know, there have been limitations on movements and accommodation on site.

Aero Expo at Sywell will have a more relaxed slot system, camping on site and under the wing and at the end of the show each evening featured acts from across Europe will demonstrate their skills at pushing an aircraft to its limits, including the permit Silence Twisters of Paul Wells and Andy Preece.

It's early days, but check out http://www.expo.aero/uk/ for further details.

Regards,

Chris

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:18 pm

I camped close to my a/c and the whole area was wee'd free - probably because the loos were pretty close.

Gary T

Post by Gary T » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:40 am

Chris B wrote:Another date for the diary.

Aero Expo 2011 will be held at Sywell, from 17-19 June.
Sigh - clashes with FlyUK :wink:

OK - going to opt for Blois in 2011 (flying along with a friend who's never been) but LAA rally 2012 for sure!

Ah, decisions decisions... :?
regards

Gary Taylor

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:06 pm

Gary,
you will have to get a faster aircraft and go to both!! Although I guess even in my slow Piper Cub, I could leave Blois Saturday late afternoon and make it across the channel for a trip up to Sywell Sunday morning maybe.

But I share your frustration, the first weekend in Sept must be the busiest weekend of the year for events in various parts of the world, but I guess not really a clash for most people who stay in the UK.
I like going to Hahnweide in Germany for the excellent vintage fly-in/airshow there, which is on a par with La Ferte Alais, or Duxford. I think in 2011 Im going to go there for the Friday and fly back friday night, ready for Sywell sat morning. But its too far even for the fast RV (4 hrs) to fly there and not miss a lot, so it will be airliner from Stuttgart to Heathrow!
I also like going to the superb Antique Airplane Association fly-in at Blakesburg, Iowa, probably the best vintage aircraft fly-in in the world, but thats also the same weekend!
And Ive always wanted to go to the Italian homebuilders fly-in, but never been before due to the clash with Hahnweide and Blakesburg. Looks like Im definitly not going now!!

Looking forward to an excellent Rally, hope the weather is as good or better!

Jonathan Holland

Post by Jonathan Holland » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:09 pm

It is bound to clash with something (that's life) and it seems to me that there are too many around here who seem to just moan for the sake of being able to!!

The dates are in my diary and I am sure they are in hundreds of other diaries too. If people want to go to other events then that's fine - we all have our favourite events and if 2011's LAA Rally is half as good as 2010, it will be a success.

Ian L

Post by Ian L » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:23 pm

As we all know it was a good Rally, but there was plenty of space left for more arrivals so what about going over the 2000 mark as we have tried to do in the past?

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Good News of one that won't clash is St. Omer who have settled on the later date of the weekend of 10/11 so as not to detract from the rally.
Might be a few drinks being quaffed as it will be my 60th birthday ! :oops:
John Cook

Nigel Bailey

Post by Nigel Bailey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:55 pm

Yes indeed, Ian and I remember with fondness the huge and excellent rallies of the past, when we were third in line with Osh and Sun & Fun.
I don't think we ever made the 2000, but we came close and if the weather is kind to us, I don't think we will have to wait that long before we see the number of arrivals climbing in that direction again.
There are of course quite a few members that want to keep it to a nice cozy fly in, and that's fair enough. But as a "big wing" supporter myself, I sincerely hope that moves are not made to limit the numbers when they actually do start to climb!