New LAA CEO!

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Paul Hendry-Smith

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:05 pm

Control Of Substances Hazardous to Health
If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.
(Bob Hoover)

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:20 pm

...and combined with H&S risk assessment the two of these requirements which have to be addressed before starting a job (in many major industries) easily doubles, even trebles the cost of carrying out the simplest of tasks.

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Dear Mr Dunevein-Gordon,
There you were ,feeling all elated after that nice, warm HangarChat style welcome , then three posts in someone gets red-carded for conduct unbecoming , then,,even more of an insult,,,they start all blabbering on about health and flamin' safety .
Bet it's put you off coming to the rally hasn't it ? you probably only wanted to talk about aeroplanes, and now you're looking around for your hard hat and safety goggles, and whatever you do , don't wear a hi-viz tabard with your name on.

Oh,,and by the way , welcome to The Light Aircraft Association .

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:18 pm

Had a liquid lunch today Chris ?

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:28 pm

No mate,,had an appointment with Max Mosley,,by the time I'd managed to free myself up, the bloody pubs were closed .

gasax

Post by gasax » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am

Nope Paul, COSHH has been around for ages, the regulations I was thinking about are CHIP4.

But there is a real relevance to the new CEO as many of the recent LAA decisions have been very 'risk averse', based upon some vague threat that 'someone' might be able to take action over 'something'.

As I tell my clients, if you act reasonably, within the law, then you do not run any increased risks. Under UK law if you cause harm (generally speaking) then you have a liability. If as an association you want to limit your liability then you would have to stop doing things - which seems to be the approach at the moment. The difficulty with this approach is eventually you stop doing everything.

Hopefully a new CEO will help to make the LAA much more of a 'can do' organisation rather than one scared of what might just, conceivabl,y happen.
Pete Morris

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:09 am

Pete,
well said, we really need to get a sensible view on all this liability and H+S stuff.

Lets hope the new CEO is from the "get up and go, get things done" side of the RAF. Not the "protect my ass at all costs, invent hundreds of hoops for everyone to jump through before anything can be done" side.
THere are quite a few of the former and unfortunately quite a few of the latter, most of them used to go into the CAA many years ago!

Im sure our selection comittee have opted for someone who is the former. Good Luck Richard, welcome to the LAA, enjoy the Rally.

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:03 pm

Err, should I correct that to read COSHH - control of substances hazardous to health - or just keep quiet?

It's true that most of the daft things that happen in the name of H&S are over-interpretations of the law, but equally, people do some daft things because they don't realise they are daft!