Airside Gate at the Rally

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ian L

Airside Gate at the Rally

Post by Ian L » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:04 pm

All
The Milton Keynes Aviation Society are looking for some help to man the airside gate this year. This is where they hand out the airside leaflets prior to people going airside. This is an important role as it satisfies the criteria to allow us to let people go and wander round the aeroplanes which is such an important part of our Rally.
All volunteers will be gratefully welcomed even if it is just to spell people for a couple of hours.

Thanks in anticipation....

Ian L

Ian L

Post by Ian L » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:40 pm

Well Nigel, you did better than me....... :(

Jonathan Holland

Post by Jonathan Holland » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:04 pm

Ian

I think you will find that few are reluctant to put themselves through the barrage of persistent sarcastic comments that they will receive from the recipients of those pieces of paper. For the last few years I have only ever eavesdropped some exceptionally negative comments about that particular procedure.

Yes, I know it is a pre-requisite and yes, I know it only takes a few seconds to read. Sadly, until now, the people who have handed them out have earned rather a reputation for being overly officious and few would want to take on that role.

Just my frank and honest view.

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 am

Perhaps the volunteers giving up their time doing this valuable task get a bit fed up with a continual barrage of sarcastic comments and get a bit officious/short tempered as a result. Cause & effect?

Bearing in mind the risks of airside both to person and the aircraft which may well be someone's pride & joy, I really cannot see why anyone gets annoyed at this simple, non intrusive, proportionate process. Being in possession of the paper with the info & warnings places most of the onus on the individual and allows people to wander airside.

I reckon the sarcastic commenters will likely be first in line to call Claims4Youhoo if they lose an arm or something due to their not being warned about the dangers of airside.
Its not as if everyone is being asked to wear a flourescent jacket is it?

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:38 am

Well said Steve. Quite why some people think they are above such things I do not know. The chap that asked me to read the paper last year was polite and cheery, and I was happy to oblige, kept the piece of paper in my pocket and had no issues getting airside for the rest of the weekend. Get stroppy or sarcastic with somebody and you can hardly complain if they give as well as they get.
This year pilots and passengers will get a specific colour wristband and the safety brief when they book in. Keep the brief abd show it when heading back airside and you'll have absolutely no trouble. And it wouldn't hurt to say thank you to the guys who man the airside gate either, they are volunteers and without them and their mates out in the airside park marshalling and keeping and eye on things, we wouldn't be able to keep our traditional Rally concept of allowing people to walk amongst the visiting aircraft.

Jonathan Holland

Post by Jonathan Holland » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:44 am

Just to be quite clear, I didn't say that I didn't agree with the procedure of handing out the leaflets. I am aware that it is a requirement of the system.

My comment about the nature of the "hander outers" was based purely on the 2010 Rally and the comments overheard between 5 and 20 yards from the point where they were told to read them. One chap was even told that "somebody can't possible read that fast Sir so please come back into the compound and read it again"!!!

Only an observation. Sorry for bringing it up.

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:21 am

Understood Jonathan, you are fully entitled to put forward your observations to encourage debate and provide opportunity for different perspectives to be aired & challenged.

I guess LAA need to have a degree of ensuring people are complying with the process and that the LAA / volunteers are not playing lip service to the leaflets' instructions/information. If it came out in court that this was the approach, (perhaps evidenced by a covert lawyer in the crowd) the LAA defence would probably be a bit shaky.

Its a shame the world is like this now but that's the reality.

Also the use of 'Sir' and 'please' doesn't sound that officious to me. :)

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:19 pm

Steve, it's probably worth pointing out that MKAS are running the airside parking and visitors on behalf of Sywell, NOT the LAA. Our departing CEO was quite insistent that the LAA had nothing to do with airside ops for liability reasons. All airside stuff is Sywell's responsibility, we only take responsibility for the Exhibition area and Campsite which it has to be said mitigates our responsibilities very well while still providing us with a fabulous venue and a rally which now has much the same atmosphere as the rallies of yore!

As to the subject in hand, officious folk are the bane of such events and we would ask that both sides try to maintain a little civility and patience!

Just to hijack this; Rally set-up begins in earnest on Thursday morning bright and early so anyone willing to help (who hasn't volunteered already) would be most welcome - just turn up and ask for Ian, Brian or Nigel! We don't need hundreds but a couple more would be good.

See you all at the Rally!

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:21 pm

Thanks Nigel - now you've helpfully clarified it, I do recall this approach and MKAS's involvement being outlined in the mag a while back.

Regards
Steve

Ian L

Post by Ian L » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:36 pm

Guys
Just to update this, we had enough people to man the airside gates and sufficient marshallers so all fell into place at the last minute (as it usually does). The airside guys smiled a lot and so did the customers so I don't know of any incidents.
I did tell one or two people they had to memorise the leaflet and that they would get an exam on the contents....... 8)

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:48 pm

On the Rallied thread I mentioned that airside access was so much better this year - same rules, just a slight change in their application perhaps...
so will repeat it here (because I can).

It all seemed to go really well. On my multiple passes through I didn't sense any difficulties and hope that was the general impression.

Many thanks to all who volunteered their time.
Nic Orchard

nigel henry

gate [sigh] burger 2 umpar band uuuuuuuuuuum umpa

Post by nigel henry » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:55 pm

me Mr ....... I drove and as a LAA member with my band, I was handed a leaflet to read I entered the hallowed ground walked freely among the aircraft talked to pilots who had flown in not a terrorist vandal or thief in sight.

I have to say perhaps leaflets were a bit OTT.... but perhaps boards explaining the requirements air side in 14 languages would have been fine, I joke.

I had a great two days camping was well organised, parking great, bar spot on and coffee in the bar £1 per coffee great.

The burger van on Field was expensive, but edible, just I had two !

Perhaps some lessons in cooking and garnish for next year, ask them to call me. As a very Qualified Chef! I can advise and give lessons to make a burger A WOW ! and worth a £5 to die for xxx and cost them less [honest! ]

More profit more happy people more sales Oops ! Sorry still on burgers ..... Sellers have lost the plot.

but all in all, I had a great time perhaps a strut or all the struts take a day of catering with a prize for best day ?

The Bar 30 beers great xxx One cider Bugger! no not old bugger! Sold out ! first day! How about 10 ciders. sounds like it sells !!!!

Umpar Band ummmmm a load of umpars find a good group or groups We are 40 and 50 somthings [ mostly] not umpars Beatles Abba or a mix of all we are not looking for pitch perfect but a sing along........ not a disco so kind of ok but ..... umpa ? did we have a lot of German family's where's the sunbeds [ sorry]

I met so many nice people this year I would like to thank everybody who enriched my weekend x and who took my £6000 I spent

Don't get me wrong ..... if it was the same next year.... I would still come xxx