RSA Blois customs

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Nigel Hitchman

RSA Blois customs

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:47 pm

I read the RSA site last week which said Customs would be available on the airfield. However when looking at the Notams today, it says there will be no customs at Blois and non schengen aircraft must go somewhere else first.

As I reported elsewhere, Abbeville is available for customs and the customs man told me all I need to do is file my flightplan, no other advanced info/permission required.

hope to see lots of you there!

cheers

Nigel

John Dean

Re: RSA Blois customs

Post by John Dean » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:01 pm

We will be at Abbeville on Friday morning, weather permitting, on our way to Blois. Maybe see you there, Nigel.

The French AIP still shows 4 hours notice for customs and there is no Notam changing this. I think it would be a good idea to comply ....arguing with the Air Police has never been my favourite occupation. :oops:

Nigel Hitchman

Re: RSA Blois customs

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi John,

we will be there Thursday evening, then going to Chartres for the night and on to Blois first thing, to avoid the big restricted area for the Bastille Day flypast practice 0800-1030z from Orleans to well west of Angers. AIP sup 094/12.

The AIP says 4 hours notice to the airfield operator, which I have given, I phoned them up, but they didnt seem very interested didnt even ask my registration! They asked if Id sent a fax, I said no as I dont have a fax machine, they said "no problem".
Strange that the AIP says 4 hours notice to the airfield operator then gives a fax number for customs, wonder if thats at the airfield or in a customs house somewhere. But the customs man said just file a flightplan, dont need anything else!
What it also doesnt say is what they might want in the fax!
I did find an email address for someone in abbeville customs that someone had given me last year, I guess it was probably the same person I talked to as the number came from the same place. So I sent an email with some details, but got no reply!

Oh, when I filed my flightplan, it came back with the Abbeville address as unknown! I phoned the help desk and they said that is because Abbeville isnt on the AFTN network! He presumed that the FIR people at Lille must send the flightplans to Abbeville by some other means, maybe fax, carrier pidgeon or some other outdated technology!

see you at Blois!