UK Licence with Medical Declaration

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Cookie

UK Licence with Medical Declaration

Post by Cookie » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Please be aware that if you are using a medical declaration with your UK licence (PPL, (B)CPL, ATPL) and SEP rating, that this facility is being withdrawn on 01st October 2013.

The current terms under which a PPL, (B)CPL or ATPL with SEP rating supported by a medical declaration may be used as if it were an NPPL will end on 30 September 2013. The holder of such a licence who cannot obtain a Class 1 or Class 2 medical certificate may obtain a LAPL medical certificate and convert to a European Light Aircraft Pilots Licence, or alternatively may convert to an NPPL(A).

The holders of NPPL(A), PPL(Microlights), PPL(Gyroplanes) and PPL(Balloons and Airships) who hold medical declarations will not be affected by this change.

AIC W113/2012

Cookie
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman

John Dean

Re: UK Licence with Medical Declaration

Post by John Dean » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:48 am

However, if I read the AIC correctly, a pilot with a CAA PPL with an SSEA rating will be able to continue flying non EASA aircraft with a medical declaration indefinitely.

It is currently the intent that a further national exemption will be issued in September 2013 to allow the holder of a UK (pre-JAR) ATPL(A), (B)CPL(A) or PPL(A) with SSEA, SLMG or Microlight rating - but not an SEP rating - to continue to use the licence and rating with a medical declaration. However, those who intend to do this are reminded that such a licence will not be valid to fly any EASA aeroplane from 8 April 2015 onwards. (The facility to use these licences with NPPL class ratings and a medical declaration is included in the current exemption issued under the Air Navigation Order).

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:14 am

John

that's really interesting.

I arranged and paid for an NPPL earlier this years because I was told that I could not undergo a biannual check with my lifetime UK PPL unless I held a JAR medical.

Did I and the CFI get this wrong? Or can a lifetime UK PPL be kept current by completing the Biannual check underpinned by a medical self declaration? or is that the avowed intention for the future?

If it were to happen, then my biannual flight check would be out of time and I guess that would mean a complete skills test?
Richard

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:48 pm

My understanding (and I could easily be wrong!!) is that with a CAA PPL(A), and a SEP rating you need a Class 2 medical for a biennial sign off. With a CAA PPL(A) and a SSEA rating, a medical declaration will do for a biennial sign off.

I think building a Jodel wing is easier than understanding pilot licensing. :(

Flying John

Post by Flying John » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:04 pm

So for me to continue to use my old dfashioned CAA issued PPL(A) to fly my EASA aircraft I could get an SSEA endorsement on my licence and then get my Biennial signoff with a GP countersigned self declaration medical ?.

How does one get an SSEA endorsmeent and at what cost ?.

John
John Luck

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:45 pm

Flying John wrote:So for me to continue to use my old dfashioned CAA issued PPL(A) to fly my EASA aircraft I could get an SSEA endorsement on my licence and then get my Biennial signoff with a GP countersigned self declaration medical ?.
Yes, but...However, those who intend to do this are reminded that such a licence will not be valid to fly any EASA aeroplane from 8 April 2015 onwards
How does one get an SSEA endorsement and at what cost ?.
Fill a form in and pay £75(?)

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:43 pm

John Dean is correct above in that with an SSEA rating on your UK national PPL, you will be restricted to NPPL privileges since the SSEA rating is normally associated with an NPPL. Furthermore, from April 2015 you will no longer be able to use the SSEA rating to fly an EASA aircraft.

Cost is £89 (see ORS5 No.269).

Cookie
Jon Cooke

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks John, and others who sent me a PM.

I think that I must have misjudged things a bit when I thought it preferable to get an NPPL rather than buy an SSEA rating on my life time PPL. To be honest I probably failed to keep up with the string of ORSAs and/or imputed the wrong steer from the authorities over which licence direction would be best in the long-term. Maybe there is too little grey matter left after dealing with airworthiness certification issues and actually BUILDING aircraft.

If half the energy that goes into feeding the voracious bureaucracy monster nationwide could be re-directed we might have more of an aircraft industry and less of what sometimes feels like a dead weight on one's shoulder when all we want is some low-key recreational flying....rant over!
Richard

john-h 028585

Post by john-h 028585 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:29 am

Hello Cookie,

You certainly seem to have the clarity of thought required to interpret the tortuous meanderings of most CAA publications and documents.

I wonder if you might offer me some advice.

At present, I am a member of a group operating a Bolkow Junior, which is, and always has been on a PFA / LAA permit. I have a UK PPL (A) with additional SSEA rating, and a medical declaration countersigned by my doctor.

You advised a previous member “If you do nothing, you will be able to continue to fly your LAA aircraft in UK airspace after April 2015.”

My problem stems from the fact that, although our Bolkow Junior is on an LAA permit, the type is classed as an EASA Aircraft, and is therefore not on Annexe II. As I currently understand it, eventually the holder of a CAA PPL(A) will only be allowed to fly Annexe II aircraft and not be allowed to fly an EASA Aircraft.

I merely desire to continue flying the same aircraft I have been flying for the past 15 years, from the same airfield, and to the same places. It seems that some faceless person in Europe is seeking to prevent that.

I would value your opinion on this unholy set of complications.

Best wishes,

John
John Holdcroft

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:48 pm

On GINFO you can check your EASA category

Annex II and homebuilds are shown as NON EASA, the Bolkow Junor is CS23E, which is an EASA category/specification.

I would read that to say, that though some are permit and some EASA CofA, you will need to treat it as if it is an EASA aircraft.

Sorry looks like you will have to convert to an LAPL, or higher EASA ticket.

Oh what fun........ Not
Ian Melville

mikeblyth

Post by mikeblyth » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:58 pm

Did the same people write the script for
"Life of Brian" do we all lay down and accept this. Being terminal I dont't think so :cry:
Mike Blyth

John Brady

Post by John Brady » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Sorry I disagree with the earlier post that a BO 208 on a UK permit to fly must be treated as an EASA regulated aircraft. Clearly it is not. It does not have an EASA CofA or and EASA PtF so it is not an EASA aircraft.

You might want to call the engineering department at the LAA who should be able to clarify the status of your aircraft.

John

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:46 pm

John Brady, above, is correct in that it is dependent upon the certification of the aircraft. So, as a pilot with a UK national PPL or NPPL, you will just need to review the relevant documents before you fly.

If your Bolkow is on a LAA Permit to Fly, then it is non-EASA and does not require an EASA licence post April 2015. For the type of flying you have described you will not need to do anything except keep your present licence and medical current. That said, you may wish to obtain an EASA licence because of the international privileges it contains.

Simply, if your aircraft CAN hold an EASA C of A it MUST hold an EASA C of A. The CAA are responsible for ensuring this, and the LAA are delegated the task of checking this by the CAA. If your aircraft is on an EASA C of A or EASA Permit to Fly then you will require an EASA licence after April 2015.

HTH, Cookie
Jon Cooke

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:56 am

I am glad that I am wrong for once :oops:

However that just goes to prove what a mess Pilot licensing and aircraft classification has become. Perhaps a larger part of the syllabus should be devoted to understanding CAA/EASA paperwork?

Many years ago Flyer magazine produced a flow charts to guide pilots through a change. Any chance of the LAA doing this?
Ian Melville

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:10 am

No problem at all Ian. I am planning a future article on licensing, and would be happy to put something together, including a flow chart.

All the best, Cookie
Jon Cooke