UK Licence with Medical Declaration

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Frank Parker

Re: UK Licence with Medical Declaration

Post by Frank Parker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:23 pm

Ian appears to have summed up the situation nicely! Once beaurocrats beome involved the complexities will increase. What a pity the clock cannot be turned back fifty years, how simple it all was back then! Living now in the USA and flying with an FAA license, I am glad that I do not have to cope with this mess, and my sympathies to those that have to!

Frank Parker

Peter Thompson

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:12 pm

Hello Everybody,
I can confirm that my Bolkow Junior is classed as an EASA aircraft and is operated on an EASA Permit To Fly, despite the fact that the Permit was issued by our own CAA and is administered by the LAA, with the annual inspection and issue of Certificate of Validation caried out by the LAA.
Confusing! I think that this means I shall have to convert my old CAA PPL to an JAR type. Does anybody know how? As far as I can see, this will involve me having to demonstrate competence at Radio Nav (not GPS), despite having no such equipment. Any advice welcome!

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:23 pm

An LAPL would suffice and use of radio navs are not required.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1104FFenabled.pdf is the form required. £41 + £6 courier service unless you tick the no box.

Graham Clark

Post by Graham Clark » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:58 pm

Cookie, are you aware of the NfL II - 4/95 issued by the LBA? I rather hope that our German friends will leave this quietly in situ.

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:37 pm

Happy new year???
What a load of Boxxxcks this is. I had, A pilots licence that allowed me to fly an aeroplane up to 12500lb
That was it . I later got one to fly an aeroplane of any weight, that was it as long as I got the type rating.
Now we have a load of bureaucrats al fighting the corner for themselves and the charges the go with it no doubt. So many vested interested people involved.
Who or what is the gainer in this farce, cant do this, must do that, mustn't do the other.
About time a bit of insurrection happened.
I you made a mistake with all of this and ended up in court it would be very interesting to have the Judge explain it back to you what you had done, if he is the law upholder, I think maybe they would throw out the case as a farcical nonsense. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, but what if the lawmakers do know it themselves and is it actually law????
Come the revolution brothers.
Graham Dawes

mikeblyth

Post by mikeblyth » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:25 pm

Glad you said it in english :shock:
Mike Blyth

Graham Clark

Post by Graham Clark » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:58 am

Not that long ago, the UK CAA was asked to allow the LAA to issue a Permit to fly for a factory-built Jodel Mascaret, in lieu of a C of A. The CAA refused, giving as their reason that if they did, they would have to treat all owners of factory-built Mascarets alike. The owner of one other factory-built Mascaret objected, on the grounds that he would then no longer be able to lease his aircraft to the Tiger Club, depriving him of 'loss of income'. Apparently, there was/is a 'Human Rights Law' forbidding the rulemakers from depriving anyone of a livelihood by regulatory fiat; i.e. change the regs to make an activity illegal, which has been legal for a long time previous.
I am no lawyer, but if I were asked to spot the fundamental difference between that, and these convoluted new arrangements, I could not. Has EASA overstepped its powers? Is the CAA failing in its duty to uphold our civil liberties? They are fast enough to prosecute. So where is the defence?

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:15 pm

That obviously did not work for hunt staff or pistol makers then.
Graham Dawes

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:22 am

It always amuses me that people want to see 'conspiracies, human rights failings and agendas from those with vested interests.' Personally I believe this whole licence issue has simply fallen into a bit of a bu**er's muddle as a result of unintended consequences and a desire to allow individual states to retain their own national licences. If anything EASA has dug itself a hole by trying to be too co-operative rather than scrubbing all existing licences and starting with a clean sheet of paper. Coupled to that is the transition period, with our CAA going for an early introduction. I don't doubt most of the issues will be resolved to the benefit of pilots in the main, over the next couple of years. I don’t think anybody genuinely wants to disadvantage those who have existing licences and ratings and the cock-ups are by accident, not design. Trouble is it takes time to resolve the problems and remember, we are still over two years away from the full implementation of April 2015. The vast majority of us can continue doing what we are doing now for the next two years without issue, by which time, hopefully, most of the intricacies will have been ironed out – and we’ll all be wondering what on earth all the fuss was about.

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:35 pm

You are may be right Brian, it probably will all sort itself out.
The fact remains though that the vast majority of us will be poorer in pocket(in my case by £73) just to stay the same as we are currently, privilegies wise, for no gain at all in anything else whatsoever!! :roll:
Alan Radford

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:12 pm

I have followed this debate with great interest .
If my memory serves me well , wasn't everything going just fine up until they ditched the class 3 medical in about 2002 . The NPPL was brought in because GA was in danger of being crippled for life and GA pilot licence applications had gone into free-fall. Brilliant move by AOPA, CAA , PFA/LAA and the other bodies involved.
Now that the NPPL is being nudged out of the way in favour of the LAPL, wouldn't it be great if it could be just narrowed down to two choices of licence ;
A CAA administered UK PPL requiring a class 3 medical.
An EASA administered licence for the steely-eyed killers.
No ,,that would never work would it ?
Like Frank Parker, I'm lucky enough to have an FAA ticket also . Just hope that there are no Americans reading this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,They just wouldn't believe it .