ICOM Radio

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

RichardMaxted

ICOM Radio

Post by RichardMaxted » Wed May 11, 2016 11:10 pm

I have just had an "Interesting" letter from the CAA with regard to renewing my, recently purchased aircraft's, radio licence. The aircraft is fitted ( since 2008 ) with an Icom 210. I have an LAA installation certificate for this radio dating from 2008.

Two questions -

(1) are the Men From Ministry wrong and the fit of this radio in 2008 was legal
(2) would the LAA have signed of a radio fit that was illegal

Obviously a little puzzled by all this and not a bit miffed.
Richard Maxted

tnowak

Re: ICOM Radio

Post by tnowak » Thu May 12, 2016 8:27 am

What exactly were they complaining about/commenting on? Maybe something to do with the new requirement for 8.33 KHz bandwidth?
I am sure it would have been perfectly legal in 2008 whatever model was installed.
Tony Nowak
Tony Nowak

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Thu May 12, 2016 8:34 am

As I understand it the Icom A210 is not approved for use in the UK due to not being EU TSO'd. I have over the years asked the question of Icom UK Ltd when the unit would be approved and they have continually fobbed me off saying approval for the A210 was in the pipeline.
I suppose it no longer really matters because being a 25khz unit it will soon have to be replaced by an 8.88khz unit anyway.
I can only suggest you contact Icom UK for the latest info on A210 EU TSO approval:-
http://www.icomuk.co.uk/
Alan Radford

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu May 12, 2016 9:39 am

Hi Alan, as you say, the Icom 210 is not approved, and I'm pretty sure it won't be although I too was told by Icom UK that it would be. There is a newer model, the IC A220 which, I was assured by Icom America, is being put through the TSO procedure, and the guy I spoke to did seem to know what he was talking about but ....

RichardMaxted

Post by RichardMaxted » Thu May 12, 2016 10:17 am

What is a bit disappointing is that I did the paperwork check before purchase thing and the aircraft had an LAA installation permit signed and dated for this radio. That is why I was wondering if anything has changed since 2008 when it was authorised.

I understand it the LAA permit signoff includes a check that the equipment installed is authorised.
Richard Maxted

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu May 12, 2016 11:32 am

Hi Richard, the permit radio check is just to see if it is working OK. To be fair, I don't see that it's the LAA's job to check whether the equipment is certified. The installation permit is just that, a document that approves the structural fitting of the radio. As the owner of a PtF aircraft you are the person responsible for its airworthiness and the legality of any equipment fitted.

RichardMaxted

Post by RichardMaxted » Thu May 12, 2016 12:36 pm

Slowly dawning on me that, to be generous, I have ended up the victim of a "mistake" that was made years ago. Of course it also makes me wonder what other "mistakes" the aircraft is suffering from. Time to ground it I fear.

Doesn't stop me wondering why a radio that has clearly caused no problems for 8 years, and that the regulators clearly are not that bothered about enough to check their paperwork, is suddenly an issue.

Grin and get on with the strip down I guess.
Richard Maxted

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sat May 14, 2016 6:41 am

Isn't grounding it a bit of an over reaction :shock:

Zillions of microlights and LAA Permit aircraft have been using ICOM a handheld as primary radio. These were never approved either, but no one died. My guess is that everyone was being pragmatic and not checking too closely.
Ian Melville

Gerry Holland

Post by Gerry Holland » Sat May 14, 2016 7:19 am

Radios are often not licensed for UK use even though some have almost full International Approval or even an EU Country approval. When I see FAA Approval I find it hard to see why UK cant proxy that Approval very quickly.
A typical example is an XCOM760 from Australia. Very capable and short form factor ideally suited for limited rear panel space. It's Regulatory details are:
Approvals: FCC, FAA, Finland CAA and several others - TSO Pending
Tested to TSO C37d and C38d, environmental DO-160D, Receiver Class D.
Not approved....

MicroAir have done a much better job of approval (signed in 2001 for UK) on their 760 Model:
Australian Approval [PDF 428 KB]
Belgium Approval [PDF 182 KB]
Czech Approval [PDF 146 KB]
New Zealand Approval [PDF 102 KB]
South African Approval [PDF 1004 KB]
UK Approval [PDF 58 KB]
USA FCC Approval [PDF 349 KB]

This whole area needs to be reviewed as the deadline transfer to 8.33Khz looms large.
As Ian says. The Microlight world is using a whole range of ICOM Handhelds, some which probably are not signed off in UK. Thats all they can purchase!!
A serviceable radio is important for safety even if only used as 'listening' device.

RichardMaxted

Post by RichardMaxted » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:39 pm

Thanks all for your comments. Suffice to say that there is still mileage in the old adage of check, check and check again before purchase. It is probably worth letting folks know that CAA does sometimes ask to see the paperwork behind the radio certificate - especially when changing owners it seems.

Recovered my equilibrium and decided to treat as an important lesson. Aircraft not grounded but gosh have I looked at every bit of paperwork carefully.
Richard Maxted

flymike

Post by flymike » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:10 pm

It crosses my mind as to just how much regard we will have to give to 8.33 and to the other mass of easa burearocracy when we are in fact leaving the eu,perhaps we could see a return to the good old days when everything was so much simpler and straightforward and indeed everyone knew just what was expected or required of them.....I even had a licence that stated 'valid for life'.
Michael Downes