ANONYMITY ON POSTINGS TO END.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:35 am

pharvey wrote: If there is demand for a seperate forum (Flyer) where anything goes, well it's a free world...please don't use the LAA name.
Peter,

Perhaps you misunderstand. I don't think Rod1 (or I for that matter) would suggest a move to Flyer would be without EC approval. It is a way to resolve their/your concerns and saves HQ time and resource. Flyer already has a AOPA forum and I don't think "anything goes" in that. It is moderated like any other.

Steve

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:48 am

"I do not think it is either justified or remotely necessary to impose rules such as this. If it is, then we really are living in a police state & I can expect the crunch of Jackboots very soon!!"

Having to acknowledge who you actually are when making a public statement is living in a police state is it Trevor? I actually find that quite laughable, anybody having lived in the old Soviet Bloc must be in hysterics!
And how on earth are you being held to ransom?
Guys, we are talking about a simple means of having an on line chat, if it wasn't here it wouldn't make any difference to the grand scheme of things, believe me the world would not stop revolving and we would all survive quite happily. Let's get a little perspective please. I really do not see a problem with having the good grace to stand by what you are prepared to write by acknowledging who you are, and I do not see that doing that will stifle debate either. To suggest it would is to believe that in the past only the posters using pseudonyms have had anything controvertial to say, and that is clearly not the case.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:02 am

post removed
Last edited by J.C. on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Harvey

Post by Peter Harvey » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:56 am

Thank you all for the feedback.
My patience is wearing thin...

This device does not change what you write. It's a rotten jibe to suggest we're censoring, or clipping your free-speech wings.
We know who everyone is, but it takes time to reverse engineer online tags.
There is a moderator, two in fact (so of course we can eventually change / delete anything).
LAA is (quite likely and we don't want to defend in court) responsible for the comment within it's domain www.laa.uk.com
We do have a problem, very occasionally, with a very few thoughtless postings. Yes we can delete them, but by then it may be too late. The online world is very, very fast.

In the past, won the rare occasions we have changed / deleted postings, we emailed the poster and telephoned them to explain why we felt the need to take action.
When the press are on a feeding frenzy (they were recently), then huge damage can be done to individuals, entities or the association within a few seconds. It takes (at best) several minutes for a FULL TIME moderator to refresh a thread, read it, realise the implication and delete it. We don't have a full time moderator and when I've got the phones ringing constantly for info on an incident, I really don't want to be worried about an 'own goal' from my fellow flying buddies. In fact, most members are brilliant when the pooh's on the fan.

My hope, is that placing one's real name within a posting will assist that person in assessing their words as reasonable, honest and appropriate. If this doesn't work, then this forum's days are probably numbered.

Wake up and smell the coffee people. It is a very litigious world out there and we have to defend our association for the many. This forum is too useful to be scuppered by a few unthinking members. Please, please try and understand the wider issue.

We have free speech here, write anything. Anything you're content for people to know you've written.

Frankly, I'm hugely disappointed and surprised that folks are so reluctant to associate themselves with their own words.

From Monday onwards, we'll commence deleting postings without real names. If it takes too long, we'll delete the users. Grrr.

Pete Harvey. 5' 10" and shrinking...got some nice chisels though.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:13 am

post removed
Last edited by J.C. on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Harvey

Post by Peter Harvey » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:23 am

Graham gave me his shovel when I joined.

gasax

Post by gasax » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:14 pm

I have absolutely no problem in standing behind anything I write, nor I suspect does anyone else here. My issue is as always the way this association goes about it. And the underlying motivation.

This BB could be of great use. But most of your earlier statements actually point to the impression it is a small subset of members and they are best ignored anyway.

As for the litigation aspects - this is fear of fear itself, not of any actual threat. Simple disclaimers are enough.

To be blunt over the last coupe of years my impression it that the PFA / LAA committee members see the BB (and any other communication) as a threat and this simply seems another way of further stiffling it. The comparison with the BMAA's BB is startling.

So yes I am in the 'held to ransom' club, I need a permit and for the moment that means LAA membership. Whilst I think there are some excellent things being done by individuals - Brian Hope, John Brady are obvious examples, as an organistation I think we only have two feet so that we can still hop around after having shot one off.....

Pete Morris formerly the chap known as the owner of GASAX

Nigel Ramsay

Anonymity

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:52 pm

Ah Pete (Morris) my days will forever dawn a little dimmer knowing your real name; I had never tied GASAX with your reg, I always imagined you were an exponent of the Oxy-Acetylene Cutting Torch! Ah well; see what you've done Pete H! :P

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:35 pm

'From Monday onwards, we'll commence deleting postings without real names. If it takes too long, we'll delete the users. Grrr. '

Sorry but this attitude is disgusting!

John Price

Post by John Price » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:56 pm

Can open,
worms everywhere!!

John.

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:32 pm

Yes, only someone with admin rights can delete a member from the memberlist.

Whilst you can't change your username yourself, you can add your real name to the bottom of every post you make by going to your profile (after logging in) and scrolling down to the box marked "signature" and adding your real name there.
Last edited by John Dean on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Cooper

Post by Alan Cooper » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:06 pm

Thats fine by me ..obviously.You should never say something on the internet you wouldn,t say at a public gathering!!.We need to get this board a bit more active.VBR to all.