Potential EASA Restrictions - Support needed

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

mike newall

Potential EASA Restrictions - Support needed

Post by mike newall » Fri May 01, 2009 9:33 am

This requires a little attention, it may be the start of what the TSA is trying to do in the USA - make many historic aeroplanes unable to fly due to over regulated and unnecessary legislation.

http://www.efha.eu/

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Fri May 01, 2009 10:55 am

Surely all the various european LAA's..PFA's etc are in negotiations with EASA over this?
Can you imagine all the Jodels/Luscombes/Condors/Aeroncas etc never flying again?.
Please God noooooooooo... :cry:

Chris B
Site Admin

Post by Chris B » Mon May 04, 2009 10:44 am

Mike,

This seems to be another organisation trying to protect Vintage aviation from over regulation and trying to promote the adoption in Europe of their own handbook for the operation of vintage aircraft which has been agreed with the Dutch CAA.

Before anyone in the UK signs up to this, we need to find out from HQ where this fits in with EFLEVA, for which our chairman is President. EFLEVA has a Vintage Commission.

I would hope that EFHA has heard of EFLEVA and that Europe Air Sports (also based in Holland) would be looking into this to ensure that vintage regulation is coordinated.

Roger

Post by Roger » Mon May 04, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi all – this does need some comment. As you will know I am also President and one of the founding members of EFLEVA.

We have known of this Dutch initiative for a while, it started after the establishment of EFLEVA as they wanted a specific Historic organization; historic Aircraft are strong in Holland. That is of course because EFLEVA represents association like LAA across Europe which have a broad group/sector interest – hence Light, Experimental and Vintage! The EFLEVA Vice President Vintage, Nigel Stevens, met with them last year and it has become clear they wanted to do their own thing: there is a difference in approach. EFHA are singly lobbying to retain Annex II whereby national rules continue to apply and EASA do not regulate.

The problem is of course that there is real political pressure to remove Annex II, though in my view this area may well be the last to change. Our position is to lobby to retain national interest at current levels and prepare to get a best deal if matters move to European regulation.

So within EFLEVA we take the view that we should stand ready to address the issue should it go and have been working with all our 14 (and increasing) members to identify a best position which has been well considered and developed so IN THE EVENT of EASA starting to develop a non Annex II Europe we are well positioned to make proposals and be directly involved in the working parties. EFLEVA are a fully paid up member of Europe Air Sports and through them we are well positioned to get involved in any relevant EASA working party. EFHA are not in that position and in my view a single stance - no change - is unlikely to lead to involvement: you need the contacts and the ability to be involved in developing ideas.

Our unified European ideas are well developed and were presented in outline to our members at our recent General Meeting. Generally the principle is to ensure nations have the benefits they have now, and indeed without going into detail the thinking essentially achieves that. There is still internal consultation and work to do to finalise - but we are well on the way. In fact we have a further working meeting in a couple of weeks.

I stress this is positioning ourselves to be able to be involved in and able to negotiate a best position – understanding the individual national positions across Europe and having developed an agreed set of ideas IF EASA starts work on eliminating Annex II for Historic aircraft. At the moment their focus is on Microlights, also currently in Annex II. We are incidentally also working on Experimental/Amateur build.

So should you vote as EFHA are asking. It’s your call – I won’t. I abstain simply because I believe we, EFLEVA are following a better route for near AND long term. Nigel will and is continuing to work and retain contact with EFHA

Best

Roger

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Mon May 04, 2009 8:59 pm

Roger who ?