PCS - Coach Qualification?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

timr

PCS - Coach Qualification?

Post by timr » Thu May 21, 2009 11:20 am

What qualification to be a coach?

Looking at the LAA PCS Leaflet ( http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... eaflet.pdf ) it lists Biennial Review and Tailwheel conversion. I thought they had to be taught by an instructor - eg FI rating.

Do the instructors need to have a CPL (understand this may be changing... but currently)?

Tim

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Thu May 21, 2009 11:35 am

Hi Tim, for any coaching questions please e-mail
[email protected]

Cheers Will LAA/PCS

timr

Post by timr » Fri May 22, 2009 11:49 am

I posted here as I am sure they are others who may be interested to know.

Tim

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Fri May 22, 2009 7:19 pm

Hi Tim,

The LAA coaches have CRI (class rating instructor) ratings for SEP, which means they can instruct other than ab-initio (i.e pilots who already have a licence). The CRI course can be done in about a week if you meet the entry experience requirements.

On-Track aviation at Wellesbourne have a lot of information on their web-site.

A CPL is only needed if you want to be paid. The CAA seem to exempt a reasonable amount for expenses.
Mark Albery

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Wed May 27, 2009 11:02 pm

Tim,

All PCS Coaches are LAA members, and hold either a CAA Flight Instructor or Class Rating Instructor rating.

I have set up the facility to train CRI ratings, and hence coaches in house. I conduct the FIC training for the CRI rating and the test is conducted by a CAA Flight Instructor Examiner. The cost of the flying is paid for by the trainee, and is conducted at a Flight Training Organisation.

There is no requirement for a CPL, since I hold an exemption from the CAA on behalf of the Pilot Coaching Scheme, which is renewed annually. Additionally, all coaches are nominated by me as revalidation examiners, in order to revalidate class ratings on licences.

I would welcome you forwarding your details for consideration. You will appreciate that the need for additional coaches is subject to a number of considerations, which both Peter and myself discuss upon receipt of your enquiry. It is expected that coaches have considerable experience in owning and operating LAA aircraft prior to application.

I intend to put an information leaflet on the website detailling the above shortly.

Regards,

Cookie
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman