SLOTS

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:33 pm

John (Mead), I certainly understood the system well enough to fly in on numerous occasions and see the final bill we were presented with. Call it what you like, but we had to have fully trained ATC, pay licence fees for them to work at wherever the rally was held, pay the earth for a recorder, and get an AIC published every year. The slot arrangement will limit the cost considerably.
I too detest the idea of having to book a slot, but with Sywell's apparent pragmatism I am hopefull that it will be a painless exercise flying in to the event. Given the choice of no event at all, or making a simple phone call I'd take the latter any day. To decide against going to the event without even giving it a go for the first year seems a particularly head up your **** approach to me.

PB

Post by PB » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:36 pm

Post deleted.

Poster has been asked previously on two separate occasions to use their full real name on the forum and has not complied.

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:38 pm

I've booked a slot and will arrive when the weather allows. They may or may not coincide ;)

edited to add a link to online slot booking:

http://www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/bookings.php
Last edited by steveneale on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merlin

Post by merlin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:57 pm

So under a slot system can I assume that the runway is mine and mine alone at that time and the atc unit of whatever nature will clear the approach for me.

Cool
:lol:
roger breckell

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:02 am

Using the link Steve posted, I too have now booked my slot - painless and straightforward. If the weather's crap I'll either leave earlier or arrive later, and I do not expect there to be a problem either way. Is it worth getting so uptight about this?

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:23 am

The problem is this Brian..The CAA insist that there are controls in place.I know for a fact that they monitor these forums and act accordingly.( I recently had a visit from the enforcement branch as a result of a post on a forum).
Its quite obvious that the slot system is a joke if people are not sticking to the times.

Which fly in will the CAA chose to attend to check on the slot system?

When that happens,how many people will be turned away?
How many of them will be fuel critical and have a planned alternate?

My head might not be as far up my a**e as yours is when I say I won't go to Sywell under a system that is imposed by the CAA and publically flaunted.
John Cook

merlin

Post by merlin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:38 am

Brian Hope wrote:Using the link Steve posted, I too have now booked my slot - painless and straightforward. If the weather's crap I'll either leave earlier or arrive later, and I do not expect there to be a problem either way. Is it worth getting so uptight about this?

So why impose a procedure that will not be adhered to?
roger breckell

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:57 am

The Sywell slot system has worked for previous LAA regional events. If the weather is poor, then the slot system is relaxed as there are less people flying in. I am not a fan of slots, but it is a necessary evil and only a minor inconvenience. If this years Syewll event is anything other than a huge success, our chances of having a rally next year will drop from 50/50 to zero. :roll:

In the “good old days” when pilots were superman and it was “normal” to have 40 aircraft on finals all cutting in and causing people to go round it was not uncommon to hear people ranting that they would never do that again as it was B F dangerous. Slots might encourage these people back to the event.

Rod1

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:19 am

Rod, whist your post is true, it does nothing to address my concerns above.
I have been accused of having a head up my whatsit approach ( I take this in the spirit that it is lighthearted and don't take offence ) but having just been on the receiving end of the CAA enforcement branch I know how they work and I will bet my aircraft that the posts on here have not escaped their attention , so what is the point of "open " slots and when will they(CAA) jump ?
Last edited by J.C. on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Cook

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:19 am

Although the LAA have stated that it will be a scaled down event I think most will take that as a reduction in exhibitors present. If the weather is set fair there might be upwards of four thousand movements over the weekend (as in previous rallys). Come hell or high water, members are going to flock to Sywell as they will see it as a full blown event - you see, it was initially advertised as "The Return of the Rally". Slot times could be calculated in seconds !

Captain Pulsar

Post by Captain Pulsar » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:00 am

I guess it comes down to a sensible interpretation of the requirements. After all, you had to book a slot at Cranfield, you booked it at 300 feet on finals. EG "Cessna golf xray 22 hard".

I guess the slot system will be ok, but we should'nt openly flout the requirements, that would be jolly naughty and the thought police will smack our bottoms. :shock:

As with so much in life, keep yer head down and get on with it!

Rob Freestone

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:18 pm

I suspect that as is usual, those making the most noise about this haven't actually even looked at the booking website.
Slots are one every minute and a note on the site reads:

Please note: you will not be turned away if you miss your slot time so if you are unable to predict your arrival time just book a slot late in the day. Priority is given to those arriving within 15 minutes of their slot time so you may be held up to allow others to land first if you are late or early. Slot times are local time.

I fail to see how that is flaunting anything. Sywell are simply keen to make the system work as flexibly as they can. If we have to have slots then this pragmatic approach is to be welcomed. At the end of the day the answer is simple enough, if you are so ante slots then don't bother going. Bitching on here isn't going to change anything.

CH

Post by CH » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi Guy's,

I'm afarid I'm with John on this one, and I know that I'm far from alone. Slots hugely restrict flexiability, and if mandated (as they are by some outfits - although not apparently Sywell (so why bother)) can be counter productive flight safety wise.

The G-VFWE was sadly ruined by slots. Many people felt under great pressue to be on time, and risked setting off before the fog had cleared, rushed pre-flights etc. This is not safe. Those who did sit out the fog, had then misssed their slot so went somewhere else. Hence it was empty, soul-less and a poor clone of it's former self.

Having to book months ahead also didn't help. Being daft enough to fly a pre-war machine - I had no clue whatsoever if it would be working that day, or if the weather would be fit. As it was I was given a favourable slot when I moaned that only 48 hours after the booking system had opened (three months ahead) they were all full. Thankfully G-VFWE appreciated the rarity of the Swallow and allocated me a mid-morning slot both days (thanks guys). But I still did not go on Saturday as the crosswind at home was too strong to risk a pre-war machine. On Sunday by some fluke, I turned final in a totally empty sky for a 11.03 slot at 11.02, and got asked who I was! However when booking in some 50% of the earlier slots had not been used. So here was a supposed fly-in with an empty sky for 20+ minutes at a time. It lacked character, and gave the punters nothing to look at. I also met a chap with a 55kt aeroplane who had been given an 08.30 slot, he got up before dawn, and then kicked his heels all morning with little to do or see.

There are plenty of non slot events that will get my trade over those who insist on them. I can set off when it is safe to do so, feel under no pressure, plan and pre-flight to suit my agenda, the weather and all the other variables that if ignored can erode flight safety. In the old days there were fewer events, but now I'm spoilt for choice. If the bigger event's die as a result, well yes I'm sorry, but this is all supposed to be fun, and if not I'll find somewhere that is. See you in St Omer?

Charlie Huke

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:22 pm

What side of the bed did you get out of today Brian?
Edited...When is a slot no longer a slot? Thats my point. If its so vague then whats the point?
IS IT MEEEE>>>>>>>>>.....???????
John Cook

Captain Pulsar

Post by Captain Pulsar » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:04 pm

if you are so ante slots then don't bother going. Bitching on here isn't going to change anything.
Oh Dear,
In fact I booked my slot a while back Brian. I rather wanted to discuss the recent prevalence of slot requirements as others have alluded to, and in no way did I intend to 'bitch' about Sywell's arrangements.
If it is unacceptable to discuss such matters then perhaps its best I cease to post here at all.
I apologise if you found me to be 'bitching'.
Rob Freestone
Over and out.