Airside access at Sywell fly-in

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:18 pm

Peter, call a halt?? who are you to say that? have I had a reply to a perfectly simple request?
Have you never heard the phrase."a stitch in time"..? Thats MY POINT.
There is STILL time to rectify this situation IF some one in authority gets off their arse!

HQ have put the brakes on this event, not the membership, but it is they that have left the stable door wide open.

BTW I can assure you I am ino doubt as to my gender.If you think its all a good winde up ..there are other forums well known for that sort of thing.
John Cook

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:03 pm

JC, I agree. A very large chunk of the membership are spotters (as has been said before) and non flying enthusiasts who hang on to the dream of one day building or owning a permit aircraft. I was one (since 1976) who had the ambition of one day having my own aircraft, and only a couple of years back, got there. And it was only by having a thorough look round and "getting up close" that kept me keen. There is a high risk that the non flying membership will vanish if such restrictions are imposed at the rally or any other fly-in. The magazine is outstanding, but I / they need that close contact, to ask questions, to see the levels of workmanship, to see other peoples mods, so that their enthusiasm rubs off on the enquirer.

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:55 pm

Never mind the airside, will there be an aerojumble? I go for them.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:52 pm

I have informed somebody appropriate about the logo issue. I'm now taking a break from the forum before it drives me nuts.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:02 pm

Thanks. :roll:
John Cook

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:35 pm

Just receved the folowing;

Dear Fly-in Registrant

Since you made your slot booking detailed joining instructions have been
introduced.

The joining instructions can be found online here:

http://www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/docume ... ctions.pdf

You must read and follow these instructions - if you have difficulty
opening the document, which is in Adobe Portable Document Format, please
contact Sywell AFIS in advance of the fly-in.

We look forward to seeing you and hope you have a great day out!

Regards

The Sywell Aerodrome Team

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:44 pm

The link I have posted above contains an 18 page document with the official LAA log at the top. I assume head office have therefore approved the procedures, if this is not the case just remember that this appears to be an official LAA document about an official LAA event, even if a small number of us might think otherwise.

Rod1

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:35 pm

Well... thats interesting, so we all congregate over the resevoir and then form an ordely que .
If we catch up with the one in front ,we have to turn back to the resevoir and start again.

So it follows that the que from the resevoir will be flying at the speed of the slowest aircraft and therefor there will be a constant return stream of faster aircraft in the opposite direction.
Aircraft for the hard runway have landing light on,aircraft for the grass have landing light off. I would like the hard and the chances are that most of the faster aircraft would, but I don't have a landing light, so do I stick a torch in my mouth or try to get in behind the microlights on the grass?

Sounds like brilliant fun! Can't wait.
Who thought that one up?

You would have thought that having imposed slots on everyone, it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility to arrange them into say 10 mins for fast traffic,followed by 10 mins for medium and then 10 mins for slow, then start again.

But of course that wouldn't work at Sywell because they have already made it clear that having been allocated a slot no-one has to adhere to it and in reality we all have the same 8.30 to 20.30 slot!

IS IT MEEeeeee????? :(

Edited twice..Just also noticed that Sywell have printed a disclaimer for anyone using these directions.
However there is no such disclaimer from the LAA who's Logo also appears on the top of the directions, clever swerve Sywell!

Edited again 16.04 hrs no answer to the phone at HQ to put my concerns about the last paragraph.
Last edited by J.C. on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Cook

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:04 pm

Well Rod, one of us must be going daft. My copy of the instructions certainly does not have the LAA logo at the top or anywhere else, and my link is the same as yours.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:10 pm

Maybe they just read my post Brian it sure as hell WAS ther quarter of an hour ago, and its gone now!
Last edited by J.C. on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Cook

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:15 pm

Still has the LAA logo, at the top, left hand side.

Rod1

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:32 pm

Rod, click on the link on your post, not your registration. Its gone now. I saw it, youre not going mad!
Have just spoken to Brian on the phone his has gone too..weird!!!
John Cook

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:33 pm

It's definitely not there now.

JohnMead

Post by JohnMead » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:42 pm

No logo on the PDF for me, have you refreshed your page Rod.

Sywell have had access to our "in house" procedures in formulating their document. One Major difference in philosophy is that we published the procedures via AIC for the benefit of the entire aviation community and not just participants.